Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2012 19:09:14 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Adjustable rate fuel pressure regulator? anybody try one?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Hi Scott - the moderator asked me to ask you to trim extra stuff off the bottom of your posts.

At 05:41 PM 5/16/2012, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >re David's statement .. >"Actually it's held very closely at a constant pressure." > >Not sure what he means by 'fairly constant' pressure..

I mean that the injectors see a constant pressure across them at all times, so that a given number of milliseconds of injector opening will always deliver the same amount of fuel no matter what the engine load conditions, rpm or throttle opening are. Double the open time, double the amount of fuel delivered.

>I can tell you for sure that if you're drivin' along at say 30psi a >light throttle .. >and you open the throttle a lot ..fuel pressure goes up, a few psi.

On your gauge connected to the test tee, that's true. In fact if you calibrated your vacuum gauge in psi and put the two next to each other, you'd see that the two gauges always change by the same amount (assuming both gauges are perfect).

>that only makes sense ...you want more 'Go Hoss' ....you'd like fuel >pressure to go up briefly .. >similar to an accelerator pump in a carb.

A carburetor needs an accelerator pump because when you pop the throttle open the vacuum drops drastically, and fuel delivery can no longer keep up with the demands of the engine until the rpm (and vacuum) go up some. So the accelerator pump squirts in a little gas to keep the motor running until that happens. In our fuel-injected engines fuel delivery doesn't depend on vacuum, although a cheap method a fuel injection system can use to decide how much fuel to inject is to measure manifold pressure, aka vacuum. In our engines the ECU computes the mass of air entering the engine and injects the proper amount of fuel based on that. But again, it does this entirely by changing how long the injectors stay open, and the pressure across the injectors remains constant thanks to the fuel pressure regulator.

Take another look at my previous post. The crucial point is that the injectors need constant pressure between the fuel rail and the manifold, and the regulator provides that. I'm tempted to say if you're still having trouble we should take it private, but maybe better not. I know it's a very slippery concept for a lot of people, and I think I had some trouble with it myself at the beginning, though it seems very simple and obvious now. A lot of what I learned about electronic fuel injection came from a book, now lost, that I got either from Bentley or Bus Depot. It was written by someone intimately familiar with both the Motronic-type continuous injection and the Jetronic type pulsed systems that our Digijet and Digifant are based on. I think maybe he spent a long time working for Bosch. I bought a Haynes fuel injection book off the shelf that I thought was the same, but it wasn't at all.

Yours, David