Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2012 18:47:40 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Retracted endorsement: HF mending tape is now junk
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I am still running my inline with a Rescue Tape wrap around the cooling system hose that exits the front (as my inline sits in a Vanagon) of the head and heads off to the heaters....That 'fix' was applied almost 3yrs ago, has survived a motor removal and replacement and given me about 60k miles of service....I still have the replacement hose, stashed in my rear seat, but I think the taped-up one may be better than the aftermarket hose..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

This is a weird little 'specialty' shaped hose....bigger at one end then tapering and turning a right angle with a slight jog, too. The replacement one feels pretty 'cheezy' so I stuck with the one that is reinforced with "Jen-U-Whine ' Rescue ' brand Tape" which looks and feels much stronger....

I've had poor luck with HF stuff lately, too. I think their quality had declined. My last infrared thermo-gun went bad in about 2 months of very seldom use. I broke a 3/4" drive to 1/2" adapter with very little torque. Both the clicker torque wrenches I got there have died, the air orbital sander...gone...die grinder...gone..Battery charger...works sometimes after about one week of use... I think I won't be bothering with trying any more stuff from them other than really basic things....but what is more basic than a socket drive adapter? First the little spring ball fell out, then the whole dang thing broke right off.....

Don Hanson