Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2012 11:30:30 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Retracted endorsement: HF mending tape is now junk

A funny comment that has to do with the tape indirectly. The guy in front of me was buying a tow strap or some such (a good HF item if there is one) and the cashier asked "are you on our mailing list?" The guy replied "no, and I don't want to be. I've already bought everything in here that's any good."

True story. He must have found out abut the tape.

Jim

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > The last time I boght said tape, it was thick, with a taper to the > edge, and very durable. It was half the price of any other source. So, > in that case, you did get what you paid for—twice. But now instead of > $4.99 per roll, they have gone to their own brand of tape for $3.99 a > roll. The new stuff is like electrical tape, and breaks if you stretch > it too far. If you use it and wait 24 hours, it will break anyway. > > *sigh* I guess the investors are happier, though. > > Jim > > On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: >> Nothing validates the adage "you get what you pay for" better than HF.  I've >> limited myself to a few basic items like the furniture rollers.  Now I hope >> the wheels don't fall off of those when I'm moving my fridge!  I also have a >> set of car wheel dollies for my MGB projects so I can roll them around. >> They have held up well. >> >> Stuart >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> Ben T >> Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:19 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Retracted endorsement: HF mending tape is now junk >> >> On May 16, 2012, at 6:47 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >>> ' Rescue ' brand Tape" which looks and feels much stronger.... >>> >>>    I've had poor luck with HF stuff lately, too.   I think their quality >>> had declined... >>>    I think I won't be bothering with trying any more stuff from them >>> other than really basic things....but what is more basic than a socket >>> drive adapter? >> >> >> Tape seems about as basic as you can get. >> >> I buy the knit gloves with rubber grips from HF on a regular basis. Nice and >> warm when putting snow chains on with some waterproofing provided by the >> rubberized surface. Perfect for changing tires too. I keep a set in every >> car. The only thing is the rubber deteriorates after about a year. But at >> $0.99 - $1.59 (depending on sale), they are affordable. >> >> I also buy furniture dollies which I use to make stacks of boxes in storage. >> Been using them for years. &7.99 fr smaller ones. >> >> My contractor laughed when he saw my  $19.00 reciprocating saw. 90 degree >> pivoting head is cool when cutting at awkward angles. Next thing I know, >> he's out there using it to cut roof gutters. I've cut-up two parts vans with >> it and still going as well as my genuine Milwaukee Sawzall. >> >> Like many other discount stores, you need to make a determination whether >> the item they are selling is junk or not. Considering the price, you may >> notice most should be installed in your toolbox marked "disposable tools". >> You know the kind that you aren't heartbroken is your neighbor breaks or >> loses them.:-) >> >> >> BenT=