Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2012 17:05:43 -0400
From:         Gregg Carlen <gregg.carlen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AC causes engine reduction in performance and stalling

Hi all,

My 1990 Westy (automatic, 2WD) has been running great since I had the heads redone, tune up, coolant replaced, exhaust repaired, etc, this spring. Last summer, I had the AC repaired (new hoses, dryer, compressor and condensor) and things worked great last Fall.

Now that the weather is getting warmer here in Northern Virignia, I'm finding my need (desire) to use the AC more often. So, I started using it about 2 weeks ago and whenever it runs for about 30 seconds, then the engine seems to 'bog down' and power is lost. To explain that a little better, when I'm driving and this occurs, I can maintain speed for a couple minutes, then I loose power (almost as if fuel was being starved) and the van starts to slow down. If I push on the accelorator more, the engine continues to decrease power but is trying harder and the faintest black smoke starts to come out of the exhaust. As soon as I turn the AC off, everything resumes to normal in about 2 seconds (power, speed can be increased, no black smoke). Another symptom is if I am stopped a traffic light (or for any other reason) with the AC on, the engine will stutter and reduce the idle RPMs until it stalls out.

There have been a few occasions where this 'AC reduces power' symptom didn't occur and everything worked fine. It seems like only the last 2 weeks has this started to act up (again, keep in mind I only started using the AC this spring in the past 2 weeks).

A few other factors that 'may' be related and influence what is occuring. FYI, I've had the van for about a year, so only last fall did I use the AC (and didn't experience any issues). The AC will ONLY turn on (AC compressor clutch kicks in, fan blows cold air) when the two AC switches (fan speed and thermostat switch) are turned up to their highest settings. If either is turned to a lower setting, the AC does not operate. Also, the PO had removed the stock radiator fan and replaced it with an aftermarket that is controlled by a manual toggle switch (attached to the steering column). This 'AC reduces power' symptom seems to occur regardless if the radiator fan is turned on or off. I also have a flashing coolant light, but this van has always had that problem (I need to search the archives to refresh my memory about the cuases for that and fix that, too).

I saw an archived thread about an AC idle stabilizer, but that was for a 1.9l. Does that exist on the 2.1? Given the symptoms above, could that component be causing this if its failing?

Any suggestions of where to start troubleshooting/testing?

Gregg 90 Westy (Blueberry)