Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 May 2012 23:37:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAmba Ad
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Hi .. I like the protective cover on the hose.. the original stuff. I'm not sure if anyone ever has found a source for that stuff.. it just seems 'right' covering the hose to me. I think it's just flexible vinyl tubing.

it is hard to get fuel line through old protective covering , I'll sure say.

I think routing it on top of the intake runners is ok ..especially if it's not covered somehow.

what is your concern about engine heat ?.. is it fire, or is it fuel vaporization...or ?

it's in the details all right. scott

On 5/17/2012 2:02 PM, neil n wrote: > Cool. Thank you. > > Yah I'm in the middle of routing my fuel hoses a la Tencents engine (Chris > on thesamba). Image from thesamba: > > http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/866581.jpg > > The above image was taken by new owner of a Tencent engine. Can't find > Tencents ad right now. > > Am routing fuel hoses this way as the OEM protective sleeve is a tight fit > to the 5/16" hose, and, the sleeves showed signs of heat damage where they > were touching the engine block. I want to keep the hoses off of, and > further away from, the heat of the block. > > I'm being Type A about securing the fuel hose. Will put a piece of new fuel > hose between cable strap and hoses. Am thinking of routing passenger side > hoses on top of the intake so they're a little further away from back of > alternator. But that introduces potential points where hose might rub. e.g. > at vacuum hose to PCV tower. My point..... > > Details; do things rub? Are they secure but not too tight? etc. > > Posting your attention to detail is appreciated! > > Neil. > > On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans< > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> Hi Neil, >> I support that 'new' fuel line on the right side of the bell housing >> somewhat.. >> like hang it in a loop of heavy duty wire tie .. >> I like it where I can see it easily .. >> and mounting wise.. >> I believe in 'floppy mount' often .. >> depends on what of course .. >> but ....having done desert racing and stuff like that....things banging >> around ...I thnk >> a mounting system with some give in it will often do better than a solid >> mount. >> >> So I don't mind that the hose from the engine connected to the black >> plastic line can move some.. >> just so it very clearly isn't rubbing on something that could wear into >> it. >> >> >> On 5/16/2012 11:46 PM, neil n wrote: >> >> Being a newb to the WBX, I did not realize that. Makes sense. I'd assumed >> it mostly the plastic part that failed. That little hose on the front side >> of the firewall would be easy to over look or not even know of it's >> existence. >> >> In doing this upgrade, is the new fuel hose from the black nylon line to >> "T" supported in any way? Or is there any need? >> >> I noticed on my new ride that the return hose from FPR to tank passes >> through a grommet in the firewall. The hose looks like it's been replaced. >> Given that this hose looks newer than the others, I was surprised to see >> that it has a noticeable gouge on it from chaffing against the grommet or >> metal. >> >> >> Neil. >> >> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans<scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >> >> >> In the many hundreds of vanagons I have worked on .. >> >> this plastic firewall fitting is not actually 'the problem' >> >> the spot that is really 'the issue' is about 3 inches forward of the >> firewall fitting, right above the starter .. >> where a short hose ( about 2 inches long ) that goes from the forward >> end of the firewall fitting to the plastic fuel line coming from the >> fuel pump ...the hose is clamped to the plastic line with a crimp type >> hose clamps.. >> that is THE SPOT that leaks. >> >> >> >> what I like to do is remove the firewall fitting thing .. >> and join the hose on the engine ( that goes to the T where you can check >> fuel pressure, right next to the distributor ) ...joint that hose >> directly to the plastic fuel line ... >> >> >> I like it going through that space to the right of the bell housing >> >> where it's easy to eyeball. >> As I have said many times.. >> I see no purpose in running the line through the hole in the metal >> firewall ...since then you have to proetct with a grommet, that will >> eventually wear out. >> one other tiny step ..where the black plastic fuel line is clipped to >> the bottom of the van's rear floor, above the trans .. >> take the line out of that clip so it reaches easily to the engine hose. >> a clamp or two there..and you're good. >> all gasoline vanagons need this simple upgrade. >> and it's not the plastic part itself that is the weak part that I have >> seen so far. >> >> scott >> >> >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp >> >> '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >> >> > > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >