Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 May 2012 14:24:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Charm inside the bell housing
Comments: To: Skip <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>

sounds good to me on your black brake grease. It would be 'high temp' and formulated to stay in place well I'd think ..should be plenty adequate.

in the pilot brg I just use a high quality grease .. either what comes in a clutch kit, or a fine red general purpose grease.. and I put a tiny bit on the nose of the input shaft.

forgot to mention clutch disc splines ..has to be 'something' to lube that.. I use the 'black slimy' moly graph ...same stuff I use in CV joints.

I like white lithium grease lately ..seems extra slippery .. I like it on door sliders ..I would think just fine on cross shaft bushing lube.

Brand names .. I think you more or less get what you pay for. higher end brand names would be ... Lucas, Seafoam, Amzoil, for example. . and others .. say you get a product that's Valvoline .. that should be just basically 'fine'.

Let's say ..if Pep Boys has a house brand that costs less.. it is either ...actually cheaper stuff.. or it's re-branded good stuff from a name brand.

I'm always checkin' out lubes.. LPS is a fine spray lubricant ..get it at Hardware stores.

Seafoam 'Deep Creep' ....another great one. My white lithium happens to be 3M brand .. just because I got a whole package deal of 4 products in one box. It's sure slippery though.

try various brands and see what you like. heck ... PB Blaster is a decent penetrating oil.. ( Kroil is 'the one' though .and expensive .....and a recent post says 50/50 actone and ATF is even better ) Home Depot happened to be selling a spray Lubricant in that brand .. for $ 1.97 on special I think.. a name brand 16 oz can of spray lube like LPS costs about $ 9 or 10 . so naturally I bought half a dozen of the 1.97 PB Blaster ones.. it works pretty well, especially for the price.

think on a molecular level ....with the greases forming a film between the metal parts .. or between metal and plastic. It's flat amazing how grease 'gets in' metal and works for so long ..such as in wheel bearings.

Over-greasing is not good of course ..like you don't want grease flying around getting on/in the clutch .. but inadequate greasing is worse. I see lots of bone dry things when I take them apart.

scott www.turbovans.com

.

On 5/15/2012 9:30 AM, Skip wrote: > (I'll pull this out to the group...) > > Scott, > > Thank you for the recommendations. I noticed that my brake caliper grease is black, slimy, moly with some graphite. Would that grease be appropriate? > > Specifically, what should I use on the drive shaft (and not too much, I understand) for the TOB "slide efficiency"? > > Then, on the cross-shaft bushing, etc., as you mention a spray lube, I have a spray can of white lithium grease (Liquid Wrench brand). How's about that? > > I want to use the best lubricants, so I'm willing to make a run to a FLAPS for lube inventory. > > If you would be able to identify sample brand names that would be great. Thanks. > > Skip > '84 Westy Manual WBXR 1.9L soon to be 2200cc GoWesty kit. > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans<scottdaniel@turbovans.com> > To: George Laubach<skiplaubach@comcast.net> > Sent: Tue, 15 May 2012 04:40:37 -0000 (UTC) > Subject: Re: Charm inside the bell housing > > Hi .. > > I use a high guality red grease ...like a good wheel brg grease > in the pilot bearing. > > > and on everything else I use moly graph 'black slimey' grease. > All points that move, pivot, or slide. > > > and spray lube the cross shaft bushings in the BH until cross > shaft pivots nicely. > > > scott > www.turbovans.com > > > On 5/14/2012 5:55 PM, George Laubach wrote: > Hi Scott, > > I was looking for the message that you posted very recently about lubrication on various parts inside the bell housing. Can't find it. Would you mind sending it to me? > > My engine is due back from the machine shop in a few days and I would like to charm things up inside the bell housing - TOB, clutch arm, etc. Specifically, what type of grease where? > > Thanks, > Skip > '84 Westy, 1.9L with GoWesty 2200cc kit > > Sent from my iPad >