Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 May 2012 22:06:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Drums
Comments: To: Ben T <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

I'm sure it's possible that someone could get a new drum on and not get it sitting really right on the flange .. or fail to clean scmutz off the flange face .. but 'normally' ..you make sure the two holes in the drum line up with their respective bolt holes in the flange, and get the drum on there correctly. And then ..you turn the drum to see if it turns smoothly .. *surely* anyone installing a drum onto a flange, or anything that turns ..would check that it turns smoothly ...and doesn't wobble.

and then if it was wonky anyway ... when the wheel was bolted on , that t would be wonky too. and surely ...anyone doing this work would check that the wheel turns smoothly and straight. ( I've seen someone remove a whole vanagon dash .. and never once check the function of any of the heater control cables ..which I can't imagine ( they were REAL screwed up too ) so I guess people do do work and don't check things ..but man.

really ...check *everything* ....everything. if not checking each step of the way ...a body can't do consistently good work.

and yes. there can be out-of- round new drums. I use a spare rear wheel housing and stub axle with flange on it ... to jig up a drum in a vice .. then I turn it by hand, with a dial gauge reading out of roundness , or roundness as the case may be.

also ...a small test that may reveal something.. while driving, say at 30 mph ...pull on the parking brake pretty hard and see if you feel pulsation there.. if you do ..it is for sure associated with one or both rear drums.

you can also do that test on the car by putting the drums on the rear wheel flange backwards ... or inside out . then drive it in first gear in the air.. rig a pointer ..say a screw driver clamped to a jack stand .. it should be pretty close to round .. a few thou off is probably normal .. but .010" out would be pretty bad I'd say.

for reference , a spark plug gap is .028" . to give an idea what .010 is if you don't have a dial gauge.

Do good careful work. It's all in the details.

scott turbovans

On 5/18/2012 9:14 PM, Ben T wrote: > Hi Steven, > > As Dennis Haynes just pointed out, the centerbore at flat surface of the drum can get caught on the edge of the hub. Once torqued down, the drum is frequently irreparable. I didn't believe it could happen to a new drum until it did at a local shop working in a Westy for a friend of mine. > > > BenT Drum > sent from my electronic leash > > On May 18, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Steven Shelton<shelton4@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >> I just installed new Brembo drums and SBS shoes in my 1985 Camper. Now the >> brake pedal pulsates when I apply the brakes. The only thing I can think >> of that would cause this is out of round drums. Can anyone think >> of anything else that would cause this?