Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 May 2012 14:07:59 -0400
From:         Dan Barrett <dbx@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      valve adj.: lower compression, valvetrain noise remains

Folks:

I'm adjusting the valves on my ten year old Boston Bob 2.1 with about 60,000 mi on it. I followed Ben's guide (http://benplace.com/1700valves.htm) and tightened the adjusting screws 1-2 turns in past zero lash. This helped a lot, adding 20lbs. of compression on cylinders 1 and 2, making the engine easier to start, and idling closer to 900 rpm than it had been.

But, two problems: first, cylinders 3 and 4 lost about 15lbs. of compression each. Second, I still have a lot of valvetrain noise from both sides of the engine.

Do the results on cylinders 3 and 4 mean that I've moved the adjusting screws too far in and need to back out towards zero lash? And is the valvetrain noise just the way things are with a broken-in boxer?

Best, d.