Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 May 2012 15:30:48 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: While Discussing Gas Prices repeated
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>,
          Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

dear gasious claynoids of carbon

gas in my fair canadian burg (powell River bc ) 4.96 Canadian $ a us gallon the canadian $$ is about 2 cents below usa $$ and the imperial gallon runs about 1.2 usa gallons which makes my cost 5.94 CDN$ /gallon which is listed to day as being 5.81 us$$ /imperial gallon

now to put all that in perspective ... the average wage in 1912 according to wiki answers was 750 / year or .36 cents /hour based on 40 hours ...and we know people in 1912 only worked 40 hours/week har har har gasoline was 18 to 20 cents / gallon according to wiki answers ...

so it cost 1/2 to 2/3 of an hours wage in 1912 to purchase 1 gallon of gasoline moreover the Model N was introduced for the 1906 and 1907 season and boasted speeds up to 45 miles per hour and a fuel economy of 20 miles per gallon. It sold for $600. ( http://business.highbeam.com/industry-reports/equipment/motor-vehicles-passenger-car-bodies )

so today lets say for the sake of argument --- i make about 20$ /hour cdn$ and it costs 1/4 of an hour to purchase 1 gallon of fuel fuel has actually decreased in price charged to % of hour worked to be in line with 1912 % of hour worked to gallon of fuel price -- i would have to pay about 12-15 $ a gallon

the price of vehicles has been weird though and only recently begun to reflect $ /annum to vehicle purchased and what has really gone off the rails is the unrealistic price of used vehicles ... no longer can one get a serviceable junker by doling out 1 weeks wages it now takes two to three weeks wages to get a serviceable junker

my first car cost 50$ (62 Lark) (Canadian model with gm motor) i purchased in 1976 when 3$ hour was minimum wage ... that is 120 $ week for the mathematically challenged now a days a 15 year old vehicle for 1/2 a weeks wage would be almost unusable and would likely command a crazy price of 2K$ to 4K$ depending on the vehicle ...

so ... my point is stop looking at the $$ you are spending to some by gone era and look more closely at the ratio of $$ you spend to the hours you work ... and oh by the way in 1912 there were few persons on electricity or telephone ... radio was a s free as the batteries lasted and lots and lots of places had out door toilets with no toilet paper -- there was no internet at all .. nope none ... and telegraph was about as fast as it got for communication as radio to radio communication was not yet ubiquitous ... wars had progressed from men standing face to face to ... i mean were about to progress ---to men standing face to face in a trench ... and these were considered heady fast paced times ... inflation was pegged at 2.64 and in 2010 it is pegged at 1.4 ( http://mykindred.com/cloud/TX/Documents/dollar/) life expectancy was 51.5 for men and 55.9 for women ... i would dead right now ... indeed ...

the sun is shining ... i have good work and a good job and good life ... happy to have $$ to place on the counter to get fuel ...

life is good ... i know it is not friday ... and this is not a rant as such .. i am simply saying $$ for fuel is a relative argument discussion and hey usa you are welcome ..i worked in the ft mc tar sands for a few years too ... :) regards

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://www.youtube.com/user/LastonLastof#g/u http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt