Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2012 11:45:51 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: valve adj.: lower compression, valve train noise remains
Comments: To: Dan Barrett <dbx@POBOX.COM>

On my '84 I used to get lifters that would not pump up. Try Marvel Mystery Oil at your next oil change. (I know what you youngsters are thinking, but this stuff has been around since the '20s) Substitute a quart for a quart of oil. Check oil with every fill up, it's a light solvent oil that can be consumed fairly quickly in our loose engines. Top up with that quart of motor oil you didn't use. BTW, don't be tempted to drink it or leave it around where children can get at it. It contains methyl salicylate--wintergreen--and smells like candy (or a flavored vodka!). It's also bright red with a cool art deco label to boot. Actually, now that I think of it I've been wanting to order this tin sign for my garage: http://tinyurl.com/cff5f8g .

Worked well for me. I think varnish build up in the oil hole in the side of the lifter coupled with low oil pressure is the culprit. I also would not run anything less than a 15w-something oil. 5w & 10w are physically too thin for the WBX to build adequate oil pressure IMHO. The bearing clearances expand a lot when these engines get hot and this reduces oil pressure.

From my past history on this and other lists since 1997, it seems that rebuilt WBX engines do not last as long as the factory original, no matter how carefully they are done. For example, lifter bores cannot be reconditioned and have the wear of the total miles on the case. Granted they don't wear much, but this is another reason for more viscous oil. Things haven't been the same for old engines since zinc was removed from motor oil,

Start saving for your engine conversion of choice. You probably have considerable time left on this engine, but I personally wouldn't rebuild it again. Also, I'm concerned about your comment that there was a gap between the valve and the rocker arm. This could be excessive cam lobe or lifter wear. You will know because you will soon have a dead cylinder if it is.

Good luck!

Stuart '85 Westy