Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 May 2012 12:18:53 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I'm getting the FAS Gen 5 and info
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM, OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net> wrote:

> IMHO, I do not think that > > any of the "Inline4s" are a proper engine for a Vanagon ~ They are set > up from the getgo for a flat well > > balanced engine & that should be a leading criteria when one ponders a > conversion. >

That is a valid point that can be easily addressed as a conversion is made...the weight bias. But "a leading criteria"? ....keeping a flat engine? One could easily say there are plenty of different criteria that might be more important to some....Like cost, fuel economy and ease of the engine swap... I suppose there is some merit in the flat four...but a vanagon is not every going to suffer diminished lap times due to a slightly higher center of gravity, nor did Westphalia seem to care much when the stuck everything on the left side of their campers...

I actually think the inline fours from VW are the proper engine for vanagons, but then I am biased because mine works well for me. Almost everyone I have been in contact with that drives an inline powered vanagon seems to have the same opinion (except those who got the old Tiico kits, those seem to have been problematic).

There aren't many Vanagons out there who've 'run through' an inline VW motor and swapped back over to a WBX or a changed to a Subaru, thinking to improve on it...

I suppose if one had no concerns at all about cost, the best vanagon engine might be a twin turbo 997 Porsche running through a sequential Porsche transaxle and their Carrera 4 all wheel drive....Now that one might take advantage of having a lower and better balanced driveline... grin. Don Hanson