Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 May 2012 06:26:34 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trimming

Getting a digest with a lot of untrimmed posts is bad. It takes forever to try to find the one or two sentences of new content amongst all the old content that you must scroll through (again). Often you miss the one or two fresh lines, especially when the post has like 10+ replies re-quoted for the tenth time.

Also, when traveling and using a slow or weak internet connection, these Clunker Digests take forever to load, or sometimes the connection drops off after you've waited and waited, knowing much of what you are waiting through may be something you may have already read and commented on...

Also, some POP servers (I think that means something, I know one of my local email addresses IS a POP server, or something) have 'message quotas'...and mine often tells me "message quota is approaching limit. then Limit exceeded," until I go through my inbox and delete some.. Two or three days of email, with a few digests containing a lot of lazy untrimmed posts sometimes fills it up and they stop sending to me.

If you are going to take the time and trouble to compose a meaningful reply to the list, you should take a second or two more and make sure you are sending the reply in a way that it will get read without everyone else having to trim off the stuff they've already read, sometimes over and over and over and over........

As a sometimes digester, I certainly appreciate having the messages contain mostly new content....especially the often esoteric discussions like why a .002 ohm reading off your Hell-sender might fool your Wobbly widget into....or what the sidewall load reading is on a BFD 25" off-road M+S tire....grin.