Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2012 23:20:33 -0700
From:         Roger <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: power steering pump remove and replace
Comments: To: tina canny <tcannytlc@YAHOO.COM>

dear whiny steerer

I would suggest you may have misdiagnosed ... whiny PS pump is most often brought about by low fluid levels ... that can come from a variety of reasons ... you may have a leaky hose -- return will drip --- pressure side will or may spray slightly then drip...

so first things first ... look at lines to see if there is any sign of wetness or presence of oil which would indicate a leak... follow the proper procedure for checking PS fluid level... if low top up and run van in place ... check for leaks once again ... determine which line is leaking .... pressure or return ... if leak is detected remove and replace or repair and replace ...

if you have no leak and your pump is truly done ... well that is what it is ...

so more intone with your question every person who owns a vanagon or type 2 is a vw repair person whether they want tot be or. not ...or else they are very rich and have "people"

r n r of any part is often accomplished by having a combination of certain factors

1. knowing which part is actually in need of being replaced 2. knowing which other parts may be impacted by the r n r of the replaced part 3. knowing which tools are required to complete the job 4. having those tools on hand 5. having a decent warm and climate controlled place to work ( outside is fine if you are protected by a good place to lay or kneel ... your tools will be protected from weather ... your legs will be protected from on coming traffic on foot or wheel ... you can leave the entire job 1/2 done at any point in the process and walk away to strangle some random domestic vehicle owner who is enjoying a trouble free motoring day... you have a place to hide your favorite beverage when authorities , mooching friends who don't believe you are actually serious about completing current task or a significant other who wants you to finally come in and watch that cued up Netflix movie that the whole family has been waiting for 2 weeks to watch) 6. having a reasonable other vehicle to fetch any variety of circumstantial needs ... other parts ... other tools ... fresh beverage supply ... but the most important thing you may have to fetch is the other most important thing you must have on hand ... that would be your friend ... the one who is a knowledgeable vw repair person ....

keep in mind that most vw dealerships or even places that advertise they are autohaus sorts have very little vanagon knowledge ... we visited several Lithia vw dealerships and most often the mechanics gather round with the sales people to gawk at the strange oddity our t25 California model ... an 85 would could them to be positively catatonic

buy a Bently ... n commence the learning, that is indeed the fun of these vehicles regards

Sent from my iPad