Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2012 19:36:38 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Low Temp Radiator Thermo Switch "Better"?
Comments: To: Marius Strom <marstrom@MICROSOFT.COM>

At 06:50 PM 5/25/2012, Marius Strom wrote: >How about that from Van Café? Something that >automatically kicks the radiator fan onto low >speed when you're doing slow speeds.

But why? Why is the Vanagon the only vehicle in the universe that when it isn't cooling right, instead of fixing the problem people start trying to outguess the system? The fan has already come on before the thermostat is even fully open! If you're running at extreme ambient temps or pulling 2,000# trailers (with brakes, of course) up hills and the cooling system in good repair really can't handle it,the answer is to get the 450 watt fan that all the A/C models already come with; so that on high speed it can really move a blizzard past that radiator.

I think that people have gotten so used to the way the Toyotas and Hondas and Subarus run with the temp needle looking like it's painted on the gauge until the system runs out of cooling capacity that they get bothered with the way VW designed this. The gauge will rise 2-3 needle widths before the fan comes on, and more before it shifts to high speed. That's the way it's designed. I remember the first Toyota I bought, being shocked at how steady the temp gauge was. Certainly not what I'd seen in my Horizon, Saab, Fiat, Sunbeam, Ford. Now I've gotten used to it. Fan comes on, fan goes off, needle doesn't even twitch. The Vanagon isn't that way, and isn't meant to be.

Yours, David