Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2012 20:09:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front Heater shutoff  options
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

I just fix 'em. as long as the heater valve itself is ok ( I recently found what I think is a very cheap not-that-old one that was extremely stiff to move the lever on )

usually it's a matter of straightening and lubing the upper end of the heater vavle control cable. ( remove instrument cluster to do that ) .

if it's summer and the complaint is 'heat won't shut off' I adjust the cable adjustment so it's about '10 % beyond full off' .. that works.

as many may realize, it's a poorly done set up on the cable arrangement. As you increase heat level moving the lever.. you are pulling the inner cable out of the outer cable. No problem there really.

but when you move the lever left for less heat .. you are pushing the inner cable back into the outer cable.. and no one, but no one ever lubes those that I have ever been able to tell.. so eventually the cable just kinks , at the upper end . ( then heat will not shut off completely for sure. )

'usually' ..I just straighten it carefully .. lube the heck out of the cable ( I identify about 1,748 spots in a Vanagon that move that need lubing ..very few of those are ever lubed, ever ) I lube that cable real well, like lift up the end ..run lube down into it , quite generously... and it's fine again.

As always, actually opening up the trouble area and LOOKING in there really helps. Generally ..that is a first step in fixing anything . take a look at it. But it's fun to ask people online too.

the dumb/bad horrible work and things I see on vanagons.. I could fill up the next 70 lines of text talking about dumb stuff people did on 'just one' vanagon that I am working on !!

how about this one ...a quiz .. What could cause the license plate lights and left tail light to flash with the 4 Way Flashers ? Cute ..flashing license plate lights !

scott turbovans

On 5/23/2012 2:24 PM, JRodgers wrote: > What options might there be - even temporary - for shutting off the heat > up front in the Vanagon. My heat valve is stuck to a degree of open and > it gets pretty warm on the feet up front now that warm weather is here. > > Thanks, > > John >