Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2012 22:59:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turnkey Proposal Rocky Mountain Westy
Comments: To: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET>

so what was the RMW quote for 12K really for .. is that in the van, all sorted out, rebuilt engine, and you just step an drive away ..?

or is a full engine coverson ready to 'drop into' a vanagon ?

12K out the door, and with a rebuilt engine , if done well, is not high at all.

Actually if it is truly a properly and well-done rebuilt engine .. and a full conversion that is elegantly done in every detail and works exactly like it should... if it's all that ...12K is super fair.

if it's an engine that is properly and correctly rebuilt and the whole conversion has been built up and the engine run in a vanagon before shipping it to you, like all sorted out and right ...and you just install it, ... that could still be worth 12K if it's done readily well and right.

I'm sure people must get tired of seeing me say this.. I see such bad conversion work it's just silly .. like 'not even close' . Straitening out 3 conversions right now . each one needs.. well ...80 hrs of work ............to get them to where they should have been in the first place.

Be careful, let's say. but really ..12K for something GOOD is not out of line . Really good and done very right.

On 5/24/2012 5:56 PM, Harry Hoffman wrote: > > Ben, > > I'm not sure, but I've seen Jim answer questions on the list so maybe > he'll chime in. > > I agree with you about the definition of turnkey. The problem is that > we live in a global world where things can be shipped anywhere. For > the bostig guys to install is closer the the previous quote. > > In the bostig turnkey you have to take a good portion of stuff off the > engine. But, all of that stuff has been put together and verified > working for you. > > All of these shops are small so have a known working setup is a huge > bonus. Otherwise you'll get a guy blaming the junkyard the junkyard > blaming the engineer and you'll be on your own to fix it. It your > mechanic will charge you 3x as much for the learning curb. > > Cheers, > Harry > > -------- Original Message -------- > From: Ben T > Sent: Thu, May 24, 2012 06:58 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > CC: > Subject: Re: Turnkey Proposal Rocky Mountain Westy > > I'm haven't seen the cost spread sheet that you mentioned. Are they > also for turnkey? > > Just to be clear, my definition of "turnkey" means, I walk up to the > shop office, pay, stick the key in ignition and drive away. > > It's a pet peeve but I hate when people misuse the term. From your > previous threads, I read people referring to engine conversion kits as > "turnkey" when you still had to put the engine in yourself! That's > 'turn wrench' (& bust knuckles) in my book. For example: competent and > supportive as the guys are at Bostig, but you or your mechanic is > supposed to perform the labor. IIRC, same goes for Eurospec, Tiico, > mane even FAS. Although I am certain some offer installation services, > it would be best to clarify this during discussions. > > From your RMW estimate. It does sound turnkey plus they are including > rebuilding the donor engine. It also sound like it INCLUDES the motor. > No hunting for parts. I don't know the RMW guys from squat except by > reputation. If you are going to use their figures for comparison, make > sure what you are comparing are the exact same equipment and service. > > > Cheers, > > BenT > > sent from my electronic leash > > On May 24, 2012, at 3:24 PM, Jon Durham wrote: > > > I've gotten a turnkey proposal from Rocky Mountain Westy to install a > > 2.2L Subaru in my 85 Vanagon. Here is the proposal: > > > > I really like the 2.2L and I think in a 2wd van with a stick and > > stockish size tires, I think it is plenty of power. We can do that > > conversion for $12,000 with the rebuilt motor. > > > > This seems to be high from what info I have seen. For example, the file > > PRICES.XLS on the Yahoo subaruvanagon site shows the costs for a > 2.3L, a > > 2.4L, and 2.5L to be $7,110, $8,210, and $9,610 respectively. > > > > Am I missing something? > > -- > > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the > > way its animals are treated" --Gandhi >