Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 May 2012 08:01:20 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic vs Manual

RE: Auto vs Stick and Gas Milage I've seen some comments in this thread on gas mileage with an automatic that puzzle me based on my personal experience. I drove an '85 Westy stick for about seven years, many long trips, about 60 k miles. During that time it cost me a tranny rebuild, two clutches, slave cylinder and eventually an engine. (Though the engine replacement had noting to do with the type of tranny I was driving.) That '85 Westy, on the highway, gave 18 to 21 MPG depending on how I drove. For the last ten years I've been driving a '90 Westy with automatic. Not a cent spent on clutches or tranny except for routine service. Just over 70K miles now, many long trips. And I get from 17 to 20 MPG, again depending on how and where I'm driving. The automatic in town? 13 to 15 MPG. BUT my left knee remains intact after driving in heavy city traffic! Note the numbers, just a mile per gallon less with the automatic based on real world experience with two Westies and driven with virtually identical loads and several times a year the identical trip. On the highway/freeway this is driving at around 60 MPH or a little less. If I run at 65 or higher then milaege will drop to 16 to 17 MPG. And the best mileage I get is usually on driving segments in the mountains, winding and twisty up and down roads. Go figure on that. BTW, I'm at just under 170,000 miles on this original tranny and the original 2.1L WBX. That means that both are going to need serious attention in the near future. The tranny will cost me half to a third of the cost of a rebuild on a manual.