Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 May 2012 10:48:40 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Low Temp Radiator Thermo Switch "Better"?
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@gmail.com>

At 10:56 PM 5/25/2012, pickle vanagon wrote: >This is a good point. I hate how in new cars many of the gauges are >actually idiot lights, in that they're stabilized at some fixed >position within a very large range. We should admit that new VW's >seem to be like this too.

Been a long time since I've driven a new car more than a hundred feet. But w/regard to the temp gauges...the gauge indicates temp of the circulating coolant inside the engine, whereas the fan operates based on inlet temp at the radiator. And with electronics you can make a gauge say anything you please, so it's certainly possible that a response curve has a big notch in the middle where nothing much happens, to avoid exactly the sort of reactions we experience with the Vanagon.* But at least in the cars I'm familiar with, I have a notion that the temp gauge stability reflects a requirement of an open-deck engine for stable temps. See http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/deck.htm for images. A die-cast engine has to be open-deck so the die can be extracted and this leaves the cylinders with no support at the top where they meet the head. Our engines I think are effectively closed-deck because the top of the cylinder seats into the head rather than just pressing against it.

Yours, David