Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 May 2012 11:10:28 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pressure cap problem?
Comments: To: Hector Zapata <hlzapata@GMAIL.COM>

You can also get the kit a an auto parts store. Lisle sells them. As a vanagon owner you should have some means to test or at least know if the cap is good and the system is holding pressure. Do the hoses get hard as the engine warms up? They should! If you can squeeze a hose and have coolant pass through cap and return when you release the cap is bad.

A check is to rev up the engine and look into the recovery tank. If you see a steady flow of bubbles you are getting gasses into the coolant system. If so the usual problems are cracked or loose heads. Now many will address this by doing a head gasket job. The reality is that if the heads are leaking at the cylinder to head seals it is due to the studs failing. The heads are getting lifted off the cylinders under load letting the gasses into the coolant. Left long enough the gaskets and head or cylinder surfaces get burned or corroded. Either the last time the heads were off they were not properly torqued or the studs are failing and need to be replaced.

Dennis