Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 May 2012 22:29:50 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic vs Manual
Comments: To: Tom Boldway <jboldway@hotmail.com>

If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have said that an automatic transmission in a vanagon sucked. I would have been basing that on repairs i've made to other peoples vans, as well as reviews/badmouthing of auto trans vanagons. Then I bought one.

Mind you a Vanagon is the first car i learned how to drive, the first stick car I learned to drive, and has been my daily for 7 years. I have driven plenty of "sedans" in that time, most were automatics and I liked the way an automatic transmission felt. Keep in mind I always consider driving a sedan to be a very different experience (What's all that crap infront of you!? AN ENGINE!?!?!)

When I finally got this automatic transmissioned '90GL on the road as my winter car.... i was blown away! At first, I had bigtime issues. I was reaching for the clutch pedal constantly. Finally I got used to it. Then for two months it was my daily and my syncro slept. I began to like it! Going in town, it's epic. Its significantly faster on acceleration between 0-20 than a manual transmissioned van. Theres a terrible power spot at about 35 hitting a hill.... it tries to stay in a gear and really should downshift, but you always can just downshift it yourself. It grew on me bigtime. Suddenly I have all the joys of a vanagon, the same "feel", but I don't shift! It's a better highway cruiser in my mind than my other vans as well.

The day I jumped into my giant lifted syncro from my tiny lowered GL (automatic) was night and day. Suddenly I have to do all this work to drive the car! SHIFTING....pfff.... yuck. I've since regained my joy in the syncro, but I must say, these automatic vans rock! I will forever own a giant syncro, and a lowered automatic bus.

Auto+cruise control rocks. The vanagon cruise control can be used at any speed, so if you're going through a state park for instance and the speed limit is a slow 25mph, set it! The auto will downshift as needed for hills.

-Craig '87SUNROOF SYNCRO WESTY BOSTIG '90 GL