Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 May 2012 16:57:15 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake locks up in reverse
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Perhaps they just behave better around me.. I've seen two seized up VW manual trans .. a ton of noisy ones .. can't think of any with parts blown out the sides, starting from the 60's.

On 5/26/2012 9:05 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Bearings can fail quickly and with little warning. Once a cage breaks or > debris jams the rollers to prevent rolling things can self-destruct very > quickly. I've seen more than one VW tranny blow parts out of the case. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Scott Daniel - Turbovans > Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:51 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Brake locks up in reverse > > all right .. > thanks for the info Daryl. > I see ..about the pinion getting out of place badly. > > that's from extreme up-down lateral displacement play on the pinion shaft ? > > seems like one would have to be very noisy for years for that to happen. > > good to see your post. > Scott > > > On 5/25/2012 9:36 PM, Daryl Christensen wrote: >> Definitely possible Scott... >> I have one here that feels like it hits a brick wall when the clutch >> is disengaged while in Reverse. See several a year. >> The pinion bearing gets almost 1/2" of slop and it slams the pinion >> teeth into the differential housing only in reverse. Going forwards, >> the shaft is pushed away from the diff and bass ackwards in reverse... >> >> Daryl of AA Transaxle >> 425-788-4070 >> "On the cutting edge of Old technology" >> 86 Syncro Westy w/Turbo Zetec in the trunk >> 90 Doka Tristar w/2.5 Subie >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >> Behalf Of Scott Daniel - Turbovans >> Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 9:13 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Brake locks up in reverse >> >> I see. >> I have been dealing with VW transaxles since the 60's .. >> and have never seen one , of the many thousands I've driven or been >> around, that would lock up in reverse only .. >> though of course that does not mean it's not impossible. >> >> On 5/23/2012 10:17 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: >>> This Vanagon thing is just s side line for me. In my years of >>> industrial experience I have seen my share of bearings fail in such a >>> way that they would only turn in one direction effectively making a >>> one way clutch. I have seen ball, roller, and even taper roller >>> bearing fail this way. Often all it takes is some debris or the >>> bearing material failing. I have also seen my share of VW >>> transmissions >> fail this way. >>> Dennis >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >>> Behalf Of Scott Daniel - Turbovans >>> Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:55 PM >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>> Subject: Re: Brake locks up in reverse >>> >>> I'll sure go along with that if it's an automatic. >>> I've had it happen ..on a very tired automatic that sat for two >>> years...then I installed it. >>> >>> manual trans though ..possible but very unlikely I would think. >>> >>> are the parts, like the adjuster rod, swapped from side to side by >>> any chance ? .. >>> not that I especially think that would cause this problem. >>> >>> scott >>> >>> On 5/22/2012 3:50 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: >>>> Are you sure it is the brakes? A bad ring and pinion in the >>>> transmission can cause that nasty effect. If an automatic so can a >>>> bad >>> sprag clutch. >>>> Brakes will feel more like a gradual drag. If it is a sudden snap >>>> type hard lock up look into the tranny. >>>> >>>> Dennis >>>> >>>> -----Original Message----- >>>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >>>> Behalf Of HotelWestfalia >>>> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 11:03 PM >>>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>>> Subject: Brake locks up in reverse >>>> >>>> Hi to all, >>>> I have no idea why, but when I put it in reverse it soon locks up. >>>> What is it? >>>> I took them apart on both sides and all is great other than the >>>> drums are 20 thou oversized already and having deep ridges both sides. >>>> Anyone has an idea? >>>> Thanks God to the Vanagon List, >>>> Zoltan >>>>