Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 May 2012 19:28:12 -0700
From:         Tom Boldway <jboldway@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Sound system upgrades

I've finally reached the sound system level of performance I wanted. Some cheap and simple mods gave me a killer loud and clean system. The former owner put in 4 or 4.5" clarion high efficiency coaxes in replacement for the 4 speakers. I added capacitors to block off levels below about 80Hz and added a SPX audio powered 8" subwoofer behind the passenger seat. I also built a box over that as an easy step in to the upper bunk. They had a Pioneer stereo, fairly good. I upgraded to a Philips 923 CD player - amazing - loads more power and totally clean. I can blast thing thing and have it sound good while driving down the highway at 60 with the windows open. I really think the Philips player made a huge difference. Never thought head units made much difference - but with no amp this thing cranks out the music. One of the keys to performance with the tiny speakers is a powered subwoofer. I can turn this off when camping to save power. The Philips head is very efficient so I don't drain battery fast, and the speakers (the cheap clarions) are wicked efficient. This thing sounds like a home stereo. If anybody is in Washington and wants to give a listen to what sort of quality they can get - just email me. I think the biggest change was tossing out the Pioneer deck and replacing it with the Philips one. I had to get it on ebay from Australia - it's hard to find but well worth it. Philips doesn't even spec power levels - it doesn't matter. Philips = Cadillac, Pioneer = Yugo. Burning Spear's "Garvey's Ghost" rattles the windows. ;~) Tom '84 Westy "Spiny Norman"