Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 May 2012 10:31:56 -0500
From:         Jon Durham <jon_durham@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heading to Germany.....
Comments: To: Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>

I take it you plan to use the camper for overnight stays. If so, don't plan on finding camp sites like we have at our Federal and State parks. Europe is old, the land is overcrowded, and the land has been privately owned since centuries ago. They are not as fortunate as us in that they did not have a Teddy Roosevelt to set aside parks. Plan on staying at KOA-type sites. I'd get a travel book on German camping sites.

It would behoove you to learn the traffic laws. The most important aspects are to understand what a "priority road" is and what a flashing yellow light means.

http://www.usareurpracticetest.com

Get yourself the Lonely Planet book(s) on Germany.

Since you will land in Frankfurt, I suggest you go to Heidelberg via B8 since it is just one hour or so away. On your way there you could stop at Michelstadt:

https://www.google.com/search?q=michelstadt&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qo1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=G4fDT9beGoXq8wTMiZDFCw&ved=0CHIQsAQ&biw=812&bih=563

Since you will be staying in Koblenz, I'd mossy up the Mosel and visit the old Roman town of Trier. There are scores of thermal baths along the Rhine.

On your way to Berlin, you could stop at Rothenburg ob der Taube.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rothenburg+germany&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BiL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eHvDT4fIAYSQ8wSa8cm6Cw&ved=0CKQBELAE&biw=812&bih=563

Berlin was totally destroyed in the war. However, it's an international city and there are still interesting places to see like the Chancellery and Checkpoint Charley. Walking tours are nice. Go to the tourist office at the Central Train Station.

Going south, you could visit Munich and Nuremberg. Visiting the Hofbrau house in Munich is a must as it's where Hitler got his start. I would visit the Nazi parade ground in Nuremberg which is unchanged to this day. Stand at the platform where Hitler gave his speeches.

I would seriously consider visiting Prague. It's gotten a wee bit expensive but it is by fair the most beautiful city in Europe. Hitler deemed this city as the heart of Germany's intellectual hub and it was untouched during the war. Other sites to see are Cesky Krumlov and Marienbad.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cesky+krumlov&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=7dN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hJjDT8y8DI6Y8gStyciYCw&ved=0CI0BELAE&biw=1024&bih=563

Jon

/ / <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CIEBEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRothenburg_ob_der_Tauber&ei=oXvDT_HtB4Tk9ASVqc2YCw&usg=AFQjCNFWZYQitcPij86d8un0klJZGjyzAg&sig2=l-Y_D5dReSyOaOavX2ASIg>

On 5/27/2012 6:20 PM, Jason wrote: > Flying in to Frankfurt, spending a few days around Koblenz, then > a leisurely drive across to Berlin. From there we will head south and see > where we end up! > > LT = VW LT. We've purchased a Westfalia Florida model. > > Bucket list = the things you MUST do before you "kick the bucket". > > Jason > > > On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Jon Durham<jon_durham@knology.net> wrote: > >> Jason, I lived in Germany for 10 years. Perhaps I can help. What is a LT >> and bucket list? >> >> >> On 5/27/2012 5:50 PM, Jason wrote: >> >>> So if you were headed to Germany what would be on your bucket list? :) >>> >>> We've purchased an LT and are headed there this summer to travel with it >>> for a few weeks. I plan to check out as many Westies as I can while >>> visiting! >>> >>> Jason >>> >>> >> -- >> “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way >> its animals are treated” --Gandhi >>

-- “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” --Gandhi