Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 May 2012 13:28:54 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why no bolt-on HP upgrades to the 2.1 WBX?
Comments: To: Pat <psdooley@verizon.net>

We got as far as running our setup, and we produced two methods of crank position sensing that don't require you to remove the engine (as a flywheel crank pickup would). The stuff was pretty cool, but we stopped development because the market for it is way too small for us to continue and we switched to focus on other projects (as was speculated on in this thread). We offered a while back our setup and experience to GoWesty so we'd have enough secured sales potential to complete it, but they said they were already working on the GM stuff in-house(their pace is very slow). Still the GoWesty General motors ECU setup sounds promising. I wonder if they are working with FAS, as the new FAS conversion also uses GM/Delphi ecus. Hopefully GW got someone better to develop it than when they were using the MAF translator to try and come up with the air meter replacement. Developing engine management for small entities is very risky, and there are lot's of pitfalls that you won't know about until you find them yourself. Critical mass for EMS is 50 customers, then you'll start to understand what's really going on and if you're too weak in one aspect or not (50 is also critical mass for conversions, after about 50 the weakness of a vendor to continue/support/grow starts to be exposed). The "cores" are funny about the GoWesty setup, likely that they are also using it for obfuscation like when they do their bigger engines. Or they also want them for other customers and it helps getting connector backshells etc. They have a pattern of concerted activity to slide their products past emissions regulations by appearing to be stock, unethical, but highly profitable as we have seen.

There are plenty of tuning tools for tuning GM ecus, almost as good as the ford stuff we have through SCT, but it's a function of the calibrator's ability/understanding as well. One has to be careful and educated from hardware choice down through the actual calibration. They aren't many who can do this well especially in the space between huge volume, and custom one-offs. That is what they have to avoid, and with speed density (although it might be they have a MAF system with MAP, there aren't any real details), they are going to need a different calibration for each of their different engines, and each specific configuration, but since they aim to sell more or less complete setups (eg their engine + their exhaust etc) it shouldn't be much of a problem. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Jim Akiba