Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 May 2012 16:15:07 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Photos of broken alternator pulley
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

oh man ..I really do not like alternators and pulleys with no key. On some ..it's just a smooth shaft and a pulley that is smooth inside .. 'usually' you impact the nut on and it all stays together. Though once in a while that doesn't work ..if the pulley slips on the shaft a lot it ruins the shaft.

key-for-me usually. scott

On 5/22/2012 8:09 AM, pickle vanagon wrote: > I like the idea of no key. At least then failure doesn't lead to > destruction of a pulley. Can the key be deleted from a new alternator? > (I'm assuming there's no such thing as pulley's without a notch?) > > > > > On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Dennis Haynes<d23haynes57@hotmail.com>wrote: > >> From the factory the two piece pulleys do not use the key. This creates a >> self-tightening effect should the pulley start to slip. This failure was >> most likely the result of the pulley not being properly torqued. >> >> Dennis >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> pickle vanagon >> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 6:14 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Photos of broken alternator pulley >> >> Here are the promised photos. >> http://wesandmaria.com/images/pulleys.jpg >> >> http://wesandmaria.com/images/shaft.jpg >> >> The pulley had not turned appreciably past the notch, just a tad as part of >> the failure but was then stuck in position. The sharp edge where it split >> was cutting up belts. >> >> It looks to me that the notch on the shaft may actually have been the >> initial failure point, since both pully halves were chewed up by the notch. >> (Notice the notch on the good half rounded out a bit). Both notches were >> good when installed on the shaft the previous day. It looks to me like >> that >> shaft notch pivoted into the shaft on one end allow the pulleys to be >> pulled >> up over it. >> >> Thoughts? >> Wes >> >> >> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM, pickle vanagon >> <greenvanagon@gmail.com>wrote: >> >>> Just wanted to let everyone know what happened. >>> >>> We were in Pittsburgh last week where I was borrowing space in my >> parents' >>> garage to swap our engine for a rebuilt 2.1 from Gary Leblanc. (I'll >>> post details on that job later.) >>> >>> After some initial miles around Pittsburgh, we were on a break-in >>> style drive back to New York on small roads when our alternator pulley >>> self-destructed. One of the halves split and separated. I promise to >>> post photos. Anyways, this must have torn up the belt in short order. >>> >>> I have discovered an extra benefit of having an auxiliary battery >>> setup in a westy. Normally I think the alternator light might be easy >>> to miss for a minute or two which could result in overheating quite >> quickly I imagine. >>> In our case, I heard the *whack* of the stancor relay shutting off, >>> looked at the dash and saw the alternator light on, and knew >>> immediately we had a problem. Shut off the engine right away, pulled >>> over and found the chewed up belt and destroyed pulley. >>> >>> After I sent the email to the list, Ryan in Johnstown really came >>> through for me and took *his* alternator out of his vanagon to lend to >>> us (a relative of mine in the area picked it up for us), which got us >>> back on track. Made it to Granny Grose's late, but it was still fun >>> to see all the busses and vanagons. Today we finished the drive back >>> to NYC. I'll be sending Ryan his alternator back, and I have a spare >>> in Pittsburgh that will be sent to me. >>> >>> All in all, thanks to the kindness of strangers, things turned out >>> quite well! >>> >>