Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 May 2012 10:57:26 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: 1.8 to 2.0 aba swap
Comments: To: Timmy Evens <monkey_lips@YAHOO.COM>

Hi Timmy,

I am in the middle of doing that swap myself. I am using a 1.8L digifant head on an ABA 2L engine.

One small detail of note is that your distributor needs to be matched up with the ignition system controlling it. A stock ABA distributor needs some modification to work with a digifant system. Or you can modify the digifant distributor, take your pick.

Another detail to note is that the ABA block is 12mm taller. That extra 12mm might affect your exhaust mounting since the exhaust manifold and the oil pan end up further apart than they used to be. In my case I found that the exhaust mounts on the oil pan were flexible enough in the horizontal axis to absorb the difference. Your milage may vary.

Otherwise it's a very straightforward modification, and I am looking forward to driving the end product soon.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario Canada 197x Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1988 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop 1990 Jetta Engine conversion blog: http://www.pottsfamily.ca/wordpress/ www.pottsfamily.ca

BUSES OF THE CORN - AUGUST 10-12th, 2012 www.busesofthecorn.ca

On 5/29/2012 4:17 PM, Timmy Evens wrote: > Hello vanagonites, My 83 westy has had a 1.8 Inline engine for quite > some time and its getting a bit tired. I'm having guys from quality > German auto parts in LA rebuild me an aba 2.0 bottom end and mate it > to a 3me head. I'm replacing a 1.8 w engine code PF. Seems like a > good upgrade and one that should last. Any words of advice or stories > of similar swaps? >