Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2012 22:16:23 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: front brakes

If you drive downhill in a manner consistent with your brakes, your load and the severity of the descent, big brakes are not "needed". Big Brakes are useful when you are 'in a hurry'....Like driving a racecar, or speeding downhill because you are late or impatient. Or you live in a city with lots of high speed traffic and hills, something like that. I wouldn't try maximizing my speed downhill on a highway with lots of switchback corners and hard braking, in a fully loaded automatic vanagon with standard brakes..... Just like a Big Rig or a Gi-normus Motor Mansion hauling a toy box or a Humvee.....your loaded automatic vanagon can be made to overheat it's brakes by driving it too aggressively and braking too hard and too frequently. Any vehicle can be made to overheat it's brakes...Brakes simply turn inertia into heat (through friction) Conversely, almost any vehicle can safely navigate without braking problems if driven sanely, keeping in mind the load and the hill. You see fully loaded semi's doing 20mph downhill because they know they don't have the brakes to hold back their huge inertia when fully loaded, so they use the motor to help with braking by selecting a low gear. Just pick a low gear at the top of the pass and let the van descend with your foot off the gas...applying brake only seldom when you encounter an extra steep decline or a sharp corner. So what if you have to go more slowly than the smaller lighter cars with bigger brakes... Vanagons do have pretty small brakes. I don't think I have ever 'locked up' mine under braking...maybe the engineers were ahead of their time with a primitive ABS by making the brakes really small....Hmmm. I think I will try to lock the brakes on a deserted road sometime...see if I can actually do that... Don Hanson

One thing that makes a big difference for effective brake performance is heat. A simple way to reduce heat in brakes, should you need to, is with deflectors that channel some air into the brake rotor and caliper. Performance cars sometimes have a deflector on the a-arm that pushes air into the front brake rotors...Racecars have scoops and brake cooling ducts that direct a LOT of air onto the hollow front perforated brake rotors....If I had heating issues with my Vanagon brakes, I would do that first....get some air to the fronts, where 90% of your effective hard braking is done.. In our racecars some guys actually used VW rear discs that were smaller than the Big Reds normally found on the German racers because they were lighter and the rear brakes didn't do much stopping anyway....You see many photos of racecars going at a corner with the rear tires actually off the track....you could have all the brake in the world on a wheel like that....or no brake at all and you'd still get the same braking effect.