Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2012 22:29:37 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: [NVC but camping!] In Canada's B.C.
Comments: To: "camping.elliott@gmail.com" <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

I was up in the Desolation sound area, BC last summer. Got the same tips from Roger. Thanks again Roger! You can buy a ferry roundtrip pass that includes the sunshine coast and vancouver island for a bit cheaper than the individual ferry tickets. Kayak or canoe is nice to have when travelling Canada. We kayaked quite a bit in the inlets and island groups along the Sunshine coast. If you haven't been to Banff and Jasper they are also worth visiting. Camping inside of the parks is of course organized, but you can random camp just outside if you exit at Saskatchewan crossing. There are backroads and suitable pulloffs along Saskatchewan river and Lake Abraham. Going north on rte 40/forestry trunk road near Nordegg you can also random camp.Take cardinal river road about halfway to Hinton, and drive over the north-south continental divide. (ridge dividing arctic and atlantic watersheds.) We'll probably take another trip to BC or southern Alberta this summer so would appreciate any additional tips people may have. Martin (and '82 Westy " 1.9TD Poppie") ________________________________ From: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM> http://www.campscout.com/campground/BC0859/   On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Rocket J Squirrel < camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > I have made no secret that I find state parks in California, Oregon, and > Washington to be really sucky. They are overly-manicured and crowded. > "Cheek by jowl" camping is how I've referred to them in the past and I > stand by my opinion. Can't stand them. To us, the lower the population > density, the more primitive, the fewer amenities, the quieter and more > secluded and the prettier they are, the nicer they are. Park us > overlooking a lake without some yahoo running a generator and playing > music nearby and we are very happy. > > So this summer, Mrs Squirrel and I have an opportunity to take a > twelve-night trip from our home in Bend, Oregon. > > We could go east, stay in the U.S., visit Idaho, Montana, Wyoming; stay > in quieter USFS campgrounds and wash up in small town motels; or we > could head on a generally north by northwest course sorta-kinda up > towards Seattle then to places unknown. > > Anyone got any perspective or suggestions on this? Y'all can pmail me so > as not to chew up list bandwidth. > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > Bend, Ore. > 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. > 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in > San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia. > -- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://www.youtube.com/user/LastonLastof#g/u http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt