Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jun 2012 15:23:12 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Cool Tools for Vanagons

TOOL ASSESSMENT:

I've been having coolant/heater issues lately - need to replace the rear heater valve in 'ol Blue and an inside front heater cutoff valve under the dash of ol' Red. I can't turn off the heat on ol' Red and I was fretting over how to best pinch off the hoses to prevent leaking while the valves were installed. I needed to shut off the coolant to ol' Reds front heater until I could get to the job, because in this summer heat in Alabam it was cooking my feet, even with the AC running full bore. In ol' Blue every time I started the engine the coolant just poured out of the rear valve.

I went to HF and was just poking around, when in the brake service section I spotted the perfect tool(s). It was a set of four clamps made for the job. They are comprised of an "L" shaped bolt with the tip turned up, just like on the capital "L" here, ?The long side was threaded and a threaded knob mounted on it. There was a nice piece of stamped steel (to give rigidity) that connected across from the tip to the bolt. These clamps were absolutely perfect to do the job of clamping off the the hoses. No hassling to find two pair of vice grips and a couple of strips of wood to serve as a clamp. No plastic scissors type clamps that don't clamp evenly. Just slip these in place, tightened the handle, and voila - no coolant flow.

After my experience with them, I would recommend them as regular tools to be taken on any trip. As many hoses as the Vanagon has, you never know when you might need one of these. The set of four was $10.

There are four clamps in the set, and they are different sizes. AT $10 it might be worthwhile to get and keep two sets, so you have a pair of each size. These are not big and bulky, and take little room in the tool box.

Regards,

John Rodgers