Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:38:21 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Factory Hose Clamps
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

I have found that the type of clamp on my heater hoses are in fact the Rotorclip brand of CTB hose clamp. These are not the wire type - but the flat steel band type. After messing with them for a bit, I discovered that a pair of vice-grips works handily to open them up. The spring tension in them is extremely strong so I wonder whether or not they could reasonably be considered for reuse. It appears to me that the only action one could take with these is to squeeze them to open for positioning and simply release them to allow that spring tension to close back and clamp any hose sufficiently to seal. Not much else one could do.

John

On 6/9/2012 9:00 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > The pinch type hose clamps are also a compensating type clamp when pinched > with the proper tool. That pinch can flex. It is used for both speed of > installation and reliability. Unless you are using a torque wrench on a > screw clamp you have no idea if it is being properly installed. Luckily hose > connections tend to be reliable so we usually get away with anything. There > are times where screw clamps are the best choice but stainless alone does > not make them lifetime, especially with a stainless screw and nut. The > stainless hardware will not give a consistent clamp load to a given torque > when re-used. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Scott Daniel - Turbovans > Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 1:11 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Factory Hose Clamps > > nice site and equipment there. > > curious why anyone would use a 'use-one-time-only' clamp when a good > stainless steel clamp is nearly indefinitely reusable .. > and doesn't go into land fill after one use. > > If the original poster has oetiker clamps on his rear heater lines ... > New one on me. I've had dozens of them apart and don't remember that they > have one-time-use-only hose clamps there. > Unless he means fuel lines on an aux heater. > > I can see using them on fuel lines I suppose, and on CV joint boots , but > otherwise ...ain't nuthin' wrong with a high quality screw hose clamp. > Those roundy wire ones .. > if I see those anywhere I toss 'em immediately. > Appears to me the only purpose of those is cheapness. > > > On 6/8/2012 6:35 PM, Tom Hargrave wrote: >> I'm not trying to promote my business but we do sell the good Oetiker >> tool, the cheap India knockoff, and quite a assortment of stainless >> steel Oetiker clamps. >> http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=W >> &Categ >> ory_Code=OCLAMP >> >> These days we sell more for aircraft, motorcycle, car and boat >> maintenance than for home kegerator construction. >> >> One piece of advice I'll give is - DO NOT try to spread open the step >> and re-use. These clamps are designed to be used once and spreading& >> re-compressing the step will result in a weak& unreliable clamp. And >> at >> $0.30 each, why would you want to re-use them? I mean, how many times >> do you plan to tear down your cooling system or FI system this year? >> >> >> Thanks, Tom Hargrave >> www.stir-plate.com >> www.towercooler.com >> www.kegkits.com >> www.grow-sun.com >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On >> Behalf Of Mike S >> Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 6:58 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Factory Hose Clamps >> >> On 6/8/2012 7:35 PM, JRodgers wrote: >>> I'm sure there is a tool to remove and reinstall VW factory hose >>> clamps but what is it? And where could I get one? I want to remove >>> the hose clamps on the rear heater hoses and would like to reuse them >>> - among others on my vans. Hate to destroy them. Anyone dealt with >>> this >> before? >> >> I have an AC, but from your question will guess that they used Oetiker >> clamps (which they use a lot of on current vehicles). They're not made >> to be reused, but you sometimes can. Normally, you just use some >> pliers to twist them, breaking the overlap, to get them off. If you >> want to try, you can use an awl or small screwdriver to try and spread >> the pinch. Search for "oetiker pliers" for the tool to crimp them on. > ~$25. >> The Knipex ones are the best. >> ----- >> No virus found in this message. >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com >> Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 2433/5057 - Release Date: >> 06/08/12 >> >