Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jun 2012 19:53:20 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Heater issues - Progress

'ol' Red:

Was suffering a lot in the summer heat with the "stuck front heater valve" syndrome but now it is fixed. Did the inline shutoff valve trick under the dash inside the van and it works great. Next project is to replace the leaking pwer steering rack. Have on on hand, just need to get started.

'ol' Blue:

Rear heater valve leaking like crazy has now been replaced. No leaks. But the heater blower doesn't work. It's always something. This thing soaked the carpet and pad before I caught it. The heater cover had never been removed and it was a PITA to get off. But I got it and did the cut-out modification, so that won't be a hassle again. Learned about different kinds of hose clamps. I like the rotorclip clamp. It's a good one, applies even pressure around the hose. I may use it more. That clip would probably bee good on the hoses at the fuel rails and injectors. Apply even pressure and don't cut into the fuel lines.

Ol' Blue has turned out to be a bit of a project van. Right now the front heater is inop. and here was an eletrical flash a while back when I turned it on to see if it worked. So the dash has to come out. It's probably a good thing, because I'm sure some more wiring mods need doing. Those ground stars look like christmas trees there are so many wires that have been added on by the PO. Gonna look at that really close and maybe add some more ground points and maybe an additional bus-bar/fuse block up front. Gas tank has to be dropped and the plumbing on top repaired. It leaks when filled. You know what that tells you. And there is and oil leak at the big crankshaft pully, but I can't see where it's coming from. I suspect that is going to be one big PITA to repair, but repair it must be. It makes a mess where ever I park, and it's losing enough oil when driven that I have to keep a close eye on it. This is one area I know nothing about, so if anyone has any ideas, or has made this repair - I would be most appreciative to hear from you on the subject.

Thanks for being here, Volks! Dunno what I would do without you.

John Rodgers