Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2012 06:38:12 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Digifant Newbs: Vanagon ProTraining Digifant Manual. Worth
              Getting!

The presence of a knock sensor doesn't enter into it. Both Digifant I and II can have knock sensors. Both I and II can also lack knock sensors. If the compression ratio of the engine needs it it gets it, with either system.

That Jetta Bentley shows knock sensor on both I and II. 1.8 w/10.0-1 CR Meanwhile the Fox Bentley shows knock sensor on neither. 1.8 w/9.0-1 CR

Both types are from later cars than 86 when Vanagon Digifant came out. I had an Vanagon 022 ECU once that said Digifant I on it. Digifant II came out next, on the inline engines.

Why VW later confused things by calling the latest most complicated version of the inline system Digifant I is a mystery to me.

Mark

Robert Ueltzen wrote: > According to my Bentley for 86-92 Jetta,Golf, and GTI, the Digifant II > has a throttle position switch, and no knock sensor like the Vanagon. > The Digifant II also has a Hall Ignition Control Unit. Digifant I has > a throttle position potentiometer, an ignition coil power stage, and a > knock sensor set up. I believe the Digifant I system was used for the > California cars in 1991, and 1992. > >