Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jun 2012 17:09:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Next question - Removing 35 yr old brake lines from MC. :-/
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

actually .. the MC is below the floor in a 77 VW Bus where they can get quite rusty. That metal cover that goes under there, or once was there, is to help protect the MC under there. A safety requirement even .... german TUV rules that say a brake master cylinder can't be exposed to road salt n' grit - something like that. A guy from Switzerland told me that in the 70's ...makes sense to me.

On 6/8/2012 3:48 PM, Ken Wilford wrote: > Courtney, actually because the master cylinder is inside the van behind > the instrument panel, the line ends there should be like new. There > should be no problems getting the lines loose there and replacing either > the lines or the MC itself. > > Under the van, the easiest way to deal with rusted fittings if you are > going to replace the metal lines anyway is to cut the metal line at the > fitting with a pair of pliers and then tap an 11mm socket (six point > only) onto the fitting. Spray some PB Blaster on it and it should come > off without much fuss or muss. BTDT but no one has every given me the > T-shirt :-) > > -- > HTH, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > Phone: 856-327-4936 > Fax: 856-327-2242 > > > > On 6/8/2012 5:45 PM, Courtney Hook wrote: >> Well, since the brake hoses actually have a plastic ring around them >> that says 77, I'm betting the metal lines are original too on my >> Westy. So I know the nuts are frozen onto the brake hose ends of the >> metal lines, and I had to actually spin the whole caliper/ hose >> assembly to get it off the metal lines. I am just imagining what the >> other end is going to be like at the MC. My thought is to use PB >> Blaster and soak the hell out of it for a few days, then apply some >> heat from my propane torch. Can I do this without destroying the MC? >> It appears to be working fine; I'd hate to ruin it just to get the >> metal brake lines off. Of course some will say, just replace it >> anyway :-) >> Thanks, >> Courtney >> >