Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jun 2012 02:25:58 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Using old phones as an intercom in your VW bus
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

I didn't open the link, but we used to use old carbon-mic phone handsets for our gate judge reporting up and down the river bank when we'd organize Whitewater Slalom Races down in Arkansas. You'd basically string a long length of 18 ga. speaker wire down the ban where no one would trip over it(as as we learned the hard way, no armadillos would chew threw the wires if left too close to the ground). We'd charge the carbon particles wit ha 12v car battery, but a simple 9V Energizer battery would do as well. There was a simple modification to the wiring inside the phone and all the handsets were in series in the loop and you had an instant party line where the start and finish could get the stopwatches started for timing and the other 5=6 phones in the line could call in gate penalties to the scoring table and then quickly post the scores by the time the paddler got back up from his or her race run. I've yet to see a high tech version of this system work any better or more efficiently. If the phones quit working, usually all it took was a few sharp raps on a nearby rock to get the carbon particles working again.

I love shade tree engineering

DM&FS

At 10:08 PM 6/8/2012, Alistair Bell wrote: >I like it. I found 2 puke green phones in my stepfather's workshop >that would add that "doofus hipster" look to my van. Wall mount >phone for back seat, mounted on wardrobe would be better though. > >alistair > > >On 2012-06-08, at 6:46 PM, Tom Hargrave wrote: > > > This guy wired up a set of old phones in his air cooled Westy! > > > > > http://hackaday.com/2012/06/08/using-old-phones-as-an-intercom-in-your-vw-bu > > s-or-anywhere-else/ > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > > > > <http://www.stir-plate.com> www.stir-plate.com > > > > <http://www.towercooler.com> www.towercooler.com > > > > <http://www.kegkits.com> www.kegkits.com > > > > www.grow-sun.com