Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jun 2012 07:36:15 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1985 1.9 Hesitation at higher RPM **SOLVED**

Neil,

No I did not wire a switch. I'm sure I'll get scolded but this is what I did and it worked.

I ran two long leads direct from the battery posts. Crimped a spade connector on the positive wire and connected it to the negative connection on the pump - and I left the end of the wire connected to the negative of the battery free- I had the pump set up with two lengths or hose one in a large container of rubbing alcohol (I suppose gas would have worked fine I just didn't have any except what was in my tank) and the other into a large glass jug. When I was ready to go I would just carefully touch the negative wire to the positive on the pump and away she went - but I never left it on there for more than a few seconds at a time.

I know the pumps will run backwards because of a mistake I made years ago crossing the connection wires. However, I'd be willing to bet it's not good for it - that's why I was real careful. I did this just as good measure - I wasn't sure how well it would work. To be honest I got most of the junk out before by hitting the inlet opening of the pump against the palm of my hand over and over (think about how one would do to pack a pack of cigarettes) - when the largest nasty clump came out a bunch of gas pured out (instead of trickling out). I could visibly see the junk on the screen so I knew it was gunked up - when I was done with everything there was a MAJOR noticable difference looking in there. I suppose pipe cleaners would have helped too but I didn't have any.

Too bad about that other pump - it was nice to know I had a spare. Drag.

Again I'm sure 15 people are dying to tell me why this shouldn't be done this way - and I appreciate that - I'm not saying it was right but it worked out for me.

-- Thanks,

Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus