Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:09:10 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Road Trip
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I can certainly vouch for Bearthooth Highway -- if it is open. Some years it is not open until another week or two. One of the longest stretches of highway above or at timberline in the country. Open camping at lots of places, no campgrounds. Pack it in, pack it out. If you require campgrounds, they are available a little lower, down toward Cook City, and also a bit to the west via a different road that comes in from the north. Most of these campgrounds do not have "services," other than vault toilets.

mcneely

---- Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > My old stomping grounds. Swing by the Stagecoach Bar in Wilson....big > doins on Sundays. Don't camp at Bridge Bay in Yellowstone. After a tree > was blown over some years back, and it hurt some camper who sued, the Park > Service sawed em all down over a few inchs thick. We called that camp > "Ground Zero". > > ..If you want a spectacular drive to a pretty neat little town, head > northeast out of Yellowstone from Cook City to Red Lodge over the Beartooth > pass. > > ..Or head over Sylvan Pass to Cody and visit the Museum there...one of the > best western museums around with lots of original Remington and Russel > sculptures and paintings... > Don Hanson > > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM, David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@verizon.net>wrote: > > > Hi Volks, > > > > The wife and I are spending a couple days in Teton Village, Jackson, > > Wyoming and I got internet access. Got here a day early even through we > > went through Nevada the long way. No interstates until Battle > > Mountain. Probably going way too fast, but it felt great. > > > > Ken in Utah got us straightened out on the best way to the Grand Tetons. > > They are amazing, but you can't drive through them, just beside them. Did > > a hike up to Hidden Falls at Jenny Lake. Good time of year to see > > waterfalls. Off to Yellowstone tomorrow. Seen a few Westys on the road > > and in campgrounds. Be sure to wave if you see us. I got a blue bag > > hanging out of the roof carrier. > > > > Dave and Diane > > > > > >

-- David McNeely