Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:27:51 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Long coolant pipes alternative.....
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

Well, the working coolant pressure of the vanagon engine is pretty low relative to these figures, all right. However, that does not mean that the material will withstand the temperature and pressure that would graph out from the three data points mentioned, say if you plotted them on a paper and extrapolated to the vanagon working pressure. The chemical environment would matter, too, of course. And the way the data below are presented, working pressure is a function of temperature, not the other way around, which is the extrapolation you are trying to make.

This boils down to (pun intended), the material may fail due to temperature encountered in the environment where it is applied, regardless of pressure.

Not trying to be a naysayer, just pointing out some considerations. mcneely

---- Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > From the Spec Sheet: > > Maximum Working Pressure: > 160psi (11 bar) @ 73.4ºF (23ºC) > 100psi (6.9 bar) @ 180ºF (80ºC) > 80psi (5.5 bar) @ 200ºF (93ºC) > > So following that on down to the working pressure > of the vanagon cooling system, it would be > pretty dag-on hot. Some quick lookup of PEX in > general said it could go up to 150 degrees > C! Would need of course to get more info on this > particular material. I also could find no info > on tolerance to coolant, but I gave up pretty > soon. When I was playing with my CPVC heater > shut off valve, my internet research said that > CPVC was not tolerant of automotive coolants. I > had mine in service for almost a year though, and > it seemed fine when I took it out. > > Edward > > > > At 06:50 PM 6/17/2012, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >Is that 200 C or 200 F? Probably the latter, > >which is marginal for the application > >contemplated. I would expect failure due to > >heat, even if the engine never "overheated." But what do I know? mcneely > > > >---- Ken Lewis <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET> wrote: > > > Would this work : > > > > > > http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=6761 > > > > > > > > > Two hundred degree maximum operating. > > > > > > One might be able to eliminate a few rubber hoses by clamping directly to > > > distribution nipples. > > > > > > Ken > > > >-- > >David McNeely

-- David McNeely