Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:28:17 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Joints
Comments: To: Robert Clemmer <n51219@comcast.net>

OOOOOOOps I reread your question. I thought you said "is there an inside and an outside CV joint to which the answer is no. There is an inside and and outside to each joint, though I am not sure that everyone obeys putting them back together that way. I forgot what the clue was on my 90 as it came from the factory, but on the aftermarket german joints on my westy, the clue is a groove machined about 5 mm from the edge on the transmission flange side. On most (but not all) you can figure it out by looking at the mating surfaces on the hub. The side that's completely flat goes toward the flange, the side with a little build-up goes over the axle. If that's not right, at least it's consistent, and mine have been doing well for over 100K miles.

Jim

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > Hope you get that dirt out in a hurry. In the meantime, no. They are > all the same. > > Jim > > On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Robert Clemmer <n51219@comcast.net> wrote: >> May be a silly question, but while I'm here waiting for the optometrist to >> open to get the dirt out of my eye, does anyone know if there is an inside >> or outside to a cv joint. >> >> >> >> Bob >> >> >> >> 91 2.1 auto >> >> >> >> Perkasie, PA