Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:11:10 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Attn: Vehicle Importers (LVC)
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@gmail.com>

dear cant recall breakfast when importing to any country there are things which must first be answered ... like what are that countries rules ... the internet has created a huge opportunity for us all to quickly grasp at the low hanging fruit and/or look before we leap i am not a back room lawyer or cousin of your brothers half sister thrice replaced i have though imported 3 vehicles to canada from usa and that has made me aware of the border crossing rules basics ... and yes there is much to learn about crossing the border with a vehicle ... i have even received special permission to have a vehicle in canada from usa so long as i returned said vehicle and showed the return dates on valid usa return to usa documentation (that took a phone call and very carefull listening to the language i was advised to use with the customs agent as well as writing down carefully the list of documentation i was required to arrive at the customs office with) ... at first the canadian agent laughed and said it is not so easy and you cant do that ... several minutes later he returned and said ... very sternly ... these are your responsibilities and privileges with this vehicle while you have this vehicle in canada and he stamped a form he had there which was like a special visa as if the car were a person ... so all things are possible if the language is correct and you have been guided carefully by the exact rules ... which you follow ... dont try to get one over on them ... they will not appreciate ... the usa Border Services personnel are --albeit very direct (if it says thursday at 3 pm then it is thursday at 3 pm no need to ask if you can change to thursday at 2:59) -- are very helpful once you have the basics down .... so you can become well informed simply by attending to this site http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml

good luck read carefully and follow directions to the letter not just the spirit ... interestingly enough in either country (canada or usa it matters if you are a citizen or visitor or diplomat etc ...in regard to what you are allowed to do with a vehicle ... etc ) regards

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://www.youtube.com/user/LastonLastof#g/u http://vimeo.com/42309497 http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt