Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:13:41 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel gauge system test
Comments: To: walkingboss <walkingboss@COMMUNICOMM.COM>

At 04:11 PM 6/19/2012, walkingboss wrote: >Test the voltage at the fuel sending unit. Between the sender wire and the >ground wire. It should be 10.5 volts with the key in the run position.

10.0 +/- 0.5 is the spec, actually.

> This >checks the complete system except the sending unit itself. If you have 10.5 >at the wires you have verified that: 1) continuity to all components,

Yes, except maybe bad connection at the plug (which was my problem, cured by cycling the plug a couple times).

> 2) the >gauge is in working order,

Working, but not necessarily calibrated. However I don't think these gauges have any great tendency to go out of calibration.

> 3) the voltage stabilizer is in working >order.

Yes, with the (very unlikely) proviso that the regulator may be failing under load. I don't know the internals of the regulator well enough to predict likely behavior in that case.

>This only leaves the sending unit as the culprit! However if the >voltage is higher/lower, replace the voltage stabilizer and retest.

In order for this test to be definitive you'd need to at least test the full-scale reading with a 35 ohm resistor, because connection problems that won't bother the voltmeter (which draws about one microamp at ten volts if it's a digital) can still interfere with the gauge which draws up to a quarter of an amp or so.

Also if you don't have easy access to the sender plug it may be easier to work from the middle, i.e. the disconnect plugs behind the dash or in the fuse/relay panel which give you access to both the gauge side and the sender side. At the very least you'll know whether you have to lower the tank enough to get your hand in to the sender connection. If the tank's already out of course this is moot.

Yours, David