Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:28:50 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: friday - home made rosin flux
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote:

At 06:53 PM 6/15/2012, neil n wrote: > >> ..... We used straight up Borax and >> water at work for Bronze pellet ...... quite >> a few trombone bells using Borax as flux. >> > > Sufficient expertise (and expert use of a reducing flame) can work seeming > miracles. > > Really good flux makes duffers like me look at least a little better than > we really are. And lets us keep farther away from that mysterious line > where the brass suddenly slumps and vanishes. <g> Even more mysterious for > us slightly colour-blind folks. Don't even talk to me about aluminum. > That's silver magic. Looks (to me) just the same from cold until just > after it melts. Bah. > >

The really hard part on a brass seam was that the melting point of brass and the bronze filler were really close. I burned my fair share of holes. But when things are just right, you just move the torch along and watch the bronze melt into the seam. Ha ha. "just".

> > One trick I was taught, was to warm up the borax/water solution on the >> work with the torch til it starting "foaming" to a white bubbly >> finish, let it rest, hit it again with torch til it settled down a >> > > If you give it too much heat right away the water flashes off and blows > the flux away like popcorn... >

Yes, but heating it to a mound of white, then less of a mound to a different colour, is not as difficult to do as one might think. I just set the flame low and more or less slowly wafted it over the flux mix.

> > RVC - I've done both bronze and silver brazing on and near Vanagon parts. > >

Inspecting the T at fuel return line on my WBX and noticed it was a brazed part. Nicely done too!

More VC. I used what little brazing skills I had to make my custom foot heat flaps on my air to water cooled swap https://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/HeaterFlapMod.jpg

Didn't have a MIG at that point.

Speaking of flux, one will note the mess left behind. ;^) At work we used an acid bath to clean off the hardened Borax flux. I don't recall what I did to attempt clean up of those flaps. This is one major draw back of using Borax and water; when you're done you end up with a hard glaze of flux.

Neil.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines