Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:52:57 -0400
From:         Bill M <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      PEX front bearings WARNING

I recently ordered a couple front bearing kits and the brand I received were PEXs. They are labeled made in Germany. I have previously had a poor experience with PEX bearings failing at low milage in a friends Westy that we installed them in. I didn't know when I was ordering my own kits that I would get PEX as there was a miscommunication. The vendor has sent me a return label but that's not my gripe here. My point is that the PEX front bearing kits come with the wrong nut. It is of proper grade but does not have the collar that you peen to lock it down in place. After posting on thesamba asking if other had quality issues with PEX bearings I got an email from a Vanagon driver who almost lost their drivers side wheel because they didn't know better and trusted the parts they got from a popular vendor. They did suffer some body and rim damage because this nut loosened up. I will say that the vendor took my parts back with no issue and when I asked about the nut was told that they know it's the wrong nut. That we should just reuse our old one. Nowhere on their website do they state that and I ordered my parts by phone. I had actually requested a different brand and was told I was getting SKF even though PEX is what they sent. I feel if your buying a "kit" that I should not have to reuse my old nut that VW suggests you replace everytime. Since the vendor had no issue taking my parts back I was content until the email I received about someone almost crashing their van. I also have thought more about how there is no mention anywhere about the danger using the kit supplied nut and felt I need to make sure that others know. So if you have replaced your front bearings recently and used PEX branded parts. Please check to make sure you have the correct nut on there you can peen to lock in place. If not please call the vendor you got them from and get the proper replacement. PLEASE do not turn this into a vendor bash session. I am trying to talk the person that emailed me into contacting the owner of the business so they can see the seriousness of the wrong part they are selling. I don't want to see anyone get hurt and the vendor ending up with a liability issue on their hands. If you have any questions if you have the correct part please email me and I'll do my best to help you out.

Bill M