Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:21:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: PEX front bearings WARNING
Comments: To: Bill M <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>

Re :

the PEX front bearing kits come with the wrong nut. - and they knew it but didn't inform you.

Again, sorry to say, this it not that uncommon.

there is a vendor that did or may still, sell a bigger front disc brake kit and they don't tell you a spacer is needed to mount the caliper. ( think that is corrected now though ) They don't provide much in the way of a provision to keep the brake hose where it goes to the caliper firmly mounted ( stock vanagon caliper has a bracket on the caliper there for the hose-to-pipe junction there ) .. - mounted to the caliper so suspension movement on the brake hose is not transferred to the metal pipe . Eventually that small brake pipe could break from metal fatigue. As far as I know they don't inform people of this critical missing part. It's totally a safety issue.

Just like junkyards supply engines or whatever with broken or missing parts .. commonly they don't tell you in advance. After you buy it and get it , you get to find out what is broken and missing.

Sadly ...these details .........informing people how it's not really, really *really* what the customer thinks is it ... fairly common, sad to say.

Most advertising is hype. What is really 'we believe this is a good product for the price' ( a fine and fair true statement ) it touted as 'this is the ultimate part, you'll never need to buy another one blah blah blah' .. when it's not really true actually much of the time.

I'll stop soon here , saw one kit of parts advertised that way............. 'never buy one of these again for your vanagon'. I ask what year of two vanagon type the kit fits . Answer - "It doesn't really fit either, It's from a non-US model and you have to adapt some." When the implication of 'never buy another ' is that they fit, like there are no problems or issues, when the real truth is .." these are excellent parts that will last indefinitely after you adapt some for them to work."

How often to people think about the concept of integrity, or 'being in service' anyway ? I'd write 'anyways' but it's not a word.