Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jun 2012 18:09:49 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: warning regarding GoWesty alternator bracket kit
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Over the years, I have had these issues myself. Poor quality parts, wrong parts, mismatched parts - the list goes on. The one thing I have learned is - do your homework on the parts and the procedures. If you do your own worke - so much the better. If you don't, find a mechanic who will work with you, and the two of you make a team to get the job done right with the correct parts. Many shops don't want you hanging about watching what they are doing. You will see a lot of signs up saying Employees Only in the shop workspace. I understand the insurance issues, but I never can quite trust those kinds of places. I've been burned to many times. There are fellows out there who will work with you, however. But you will have to look for them. You don't have to stand right next to the guy while he's working, but be there.. If there is a question - ask it. If he has a question - be there to answer it. Bot of you look at the Bentley before the work starts. Check out the parts - together. There's a lot of good mechanics out there - they just never have or have infrequently seen a Vanagon, so there is some necessary education that has to happen. Use these guys general mechanical expertise and teach them. I have been through two mechanics that way over the last twelve years. Rarely was there ever any comeback on any work. And ti was mostly because we talked to each other and got on the same page. Very important. I issues do arise - and you just have to deal with it. But it works best if you and your mechanic are on the same page. I have had a couple of issues in the last few months over parts from vendors. Again - it's "do your homework before the part goes in." Vanagon horn ring - correct part number - but wouldn't fit. Why? Apparently VW decided to make it fit other vehicles as well. Result - the very slight change made it impossible to seat the steering wheel. The solution - transfer the brass ring from the new base, over to the old base. Worked like a champ. But who knew? Caught the vendor by surprise. The most recent parts concern is tie-rod ends. Two new sets from vendors. No drilled holes and no castle nuts to accept cotter pins. Fiber-lock safety nuts supplied with one set, steel-lock safety nuts supplied with the other set. No castle nuts, no cotter pin holes. I haven't resolved the issue yet, but I'm working it. To me that's like not safe-locking the nuts on the bolts on the elevators or ailerons on an airplane with safety wire or a cotter pin. Sooner or later, something is going to separate and fall off. That's bad news. So is that separation on the front end of the Vanagon.

John Rodgers

On 6/16/2012 4:08 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > .if people are smart they will at least check the > vehicle itself in such cases.