Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2012 02:49:38 -0400
From:         Ed <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Porsche clamp nut fits Vanagon front spindles

An alternative to the original Vanagon crimp nut for the front spindle is the Porsche clamp nut (Porsche P/N 911 341 673 00, ~$35/each) for '70 to '86 Porsche 911s. This clamp nut can be repeatedly loosened and re-tightened to adjust wheel bearing preload. It has the same M18x1.0 threads as the Vanagon spindle nut and fits neatly under the Vanagon dust cap. This is also available used on ebay or from after market suppliers for $10+/each. I am using this with the SmallCar Big Brake kit. I imagine it also fits in the original Vanagon hub but since I have just one Vanagon I haven't tried it on an unmodified hub. This must, of course, be installed with the original keyed thrust washer.

The 914 Porsche, late 356A, 356B, 356C, some early 911Ts and 912s use a similar nut (P/N 914 341 671 00) but it has M16x1.0 threads and will not fit so be careful. This is also listed as NLA.

Please note that I am not suggesting this clamp nut is appropriate for anyone to use on the Vanagon front spindles or that anyone use this clamp nut on their Vanagon. If your front wheels fall off because you use this clamp nut it is not my fault!