Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:06:38 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: air intake snorkel hose
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

When I bought my first Vanagon back in 1990 - an 85 GL - that was it. Got rid of everything else, and have never owned another vehicle type since. Just doesn't pay for my lifestyle. At this point - I have three Vans. I will run them 'til rust and there is only one left - and at that point - I probably won't be driving or caring anyway.

John Rodgers

On 6/25/2012 10:09 PM, David Beierl wrote: > At 09:39 PM 6/25/2012, mcneely4@cox.net wrote: >> Hmmm..... . All automobiles? My Honda Accord has the combustion >> air intake immediately over the battery in the engine compartment, a >> really dumb arrangement, I would think, since any corrosive gases >> from the battery would be sucked into the intake. > > If you look, I'll bet you find that the intake horn is lined up with > some convenient opening facing forward.* You don't care that much if > the car isn't moving. It's more of an issue with the Vanagon where > the engine compartment gets a lot less ram air to keep it cooler. > >> However, I'm not going to argue with Honda engineers given that >> the vehicle is at 203k miles and counting, with no work beyond >> ordinary maintenance required yet. > > Grrrrr....I guess it's not a '98 Accord. Dealer: "Nobody in the US > knows how to fix these transmissions. We just throw them away. Yes, > the recall is just for the V6 but we have lots of trouble with the > 4-cyl too. Too bad, sorry. You've really had a lot of trouble with > this car, haven't you?" Paid 6k, put in ?4?, would have been another > 4+ for transmission, traded in for 2k on wife's $6k Outback and > haven't thought of it since until today. Although she's paid more > just for repairs on the Outback than the total outlay on a '95 Geo > Prizm ($2k) and all repairs since. She took the Geo with her when > she left and I swapped the Accord for the Geo when she bought the Outback. > > *On my '78 Horizon they did seal it to the outside, and they put the > ECU in there to keep it cool. Too bad they only potted the ECU with > silicone RTV halfway up the ceramic disk capacitors. Five years > later, every time it rained hard...there *was* a recall, so the > dealer sprayed it down real well with a hose to verify the problem > before sealing up the caps with more silicone. Three miles down the > road...ever see a CAT glowing red hot in daylight? > > Sunbeam, Fiat 128, Saab 96, '78 Horizon (the one CU rated "not > acceptable"), Vanagon, apparently the worst Accord ever built, > another Vanagon...oh, and some Toyotas but they don't count except > for one -- the Accord replaced a '93 Camry I got for $1200 to replace > the Geo that S took with her. > > I cleaned the mouse condominia out of the ventilating system, found > out that Toyota's heater blower resistor lasts about five seconds if > it isn't in the fan airstream, was getting really really really sick > of the mild smell of mouse (but oh, those seats. Felt like a sin > every time I sat down), when it was stolen out of the driveway in > broad daylight with the neighbor watching. Found out that the State > PD got it back that night when I got a bill for two weeks > storage...collected it, the thieves had been gentle but left in a > hurry and left behind the stripped key they used. Turns out '90-95 > Camrys ignition locks wear out and you can turn them with a worn out > key that you've filed down a bit more. Paid the $500 for storage, > drove it home and at one o'clock next morning watched it drive around > the corner. Those thieves weren't so considerate, so I gave it up as > a bad job and paid real money for the Accord. Boy was I glad to see > that Geo back! It's a beater, but it just keeps on beating. > > Yrs, > d >