Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2012 23:49:22 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Matilda is on her way out

Well, friends, the time has come. I can't cope any more with a vehicle that seems to break down every time I drive her, and Matilda is being retired. Going to the happy hunting grounds for old and infirm vanagons. I was about to (finally) register her in Canada, when she broke down yet again, and very sadly I'm giving up. (You know it's bad, when the tow truck operator shows up and regales you with his recollections of all the previous times he has towed your van. Of course you also know that means you live in a really small town...)

I would love for her parts to go to a vanagonaut who can make good use of them, though being in St. John's, Newfoundland, that's a bit hard.

But if there's anyone on the list who is out here and might be interested in taking some easily removable parts - please do send me an email. She actually runs reasonably well when she's running - she has a Boston Bob engine with around 60,000 miles since Bob sold it to me. She's got a wonderful Dometic refrigerator - and I HAVE THE ICE CUBE TRAYS! She's got a newly remastered and installed air flow meter (after a year of many mechanics trying to figure out that that's what she needed). A fine set of vintage grey curtains (even I can remove them if someone wants them!). Gray front seats in good condition. Spare battery and the hardware for hooking it up. Plus probably other usable parts that I'm not thinking of or don't even know about.

The hitch, of course, is that I'm in Newfoundland, and she's not in any shape to drive any distance. (The brakes freezing up was the last straw, and although they are no longer frozen and I did drive her back home, I didn't get them repaired. Exhaust system is rusty. Driver side panel has rusted right through at the seam, though that might not make her undriveable.) And shipping parts probably isn't worth what it would cost.

But if you're heading here this summer and are interested, or you're local and interested, please do let me know. I haven't yet called the few mechanics in town who might want to take her off my hands for parts, but I'll be doing that soon, I guess. And if not them, then I'll have to get her towed to the crusher and that will be the end of Matilda. ;-(((

I have friends whose five- and six-year old children adore her, and I was really hoping that they'd like to take her as a playhouse / violin practice room / spare bedroom / spot for sleepovers in the driveway. They were tempted, but common sense prevailed, and they decided they couldn't plant an unregistered, undriveable van in their driveway even if it would thrill their children. Alas, that would have been a lovely old-age-home for Matilda's retirement, with two very nice kids who love her.

For the moment I'll be car free. I'm kind of scouting for something that's small and gets great gas mileage - a Pruis maybe. But on the other hand, if another vanagon a lot more reliable than Matilda came along...

Meanwhile, I'm in mourning.

And I hope I can still consider myself part of the vanagon community even if I no longer have one.

Joy and Matilda, who will miss all of you