Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:04:47 +0000
From:         Skip <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Road trip-2200cc Go Westy KIt
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

"Sounds like a good motor, or it will be when you finish the little things. Could you give a dollar figure on what you've got into it now?

I've always heard about re-building WBX motors and improving them in the process, but nobody seems to put in the cost... Don Hanson"

Hi Don,

Something under $3,000.

These numbers are approximate: the machine shop quoted $1,500 to start with the raw motor (I removed the "ancillaries"), clean, disassemble, measure and hone all "things" (determine what could be re-used and what required replacement), assemble (heli-coil/time-cert any bad threads), basically give back to me the engine in ready-shape for me to add all the "ancillaries" (water pump, thermostat, air intake, fuel injection, hoses and pipes). They torqued on the fly-wheel and pulley, and installed the distributor driveshaft (albeit 90 degrees off - I later corrected). They did spend about twice the amount of time versus expected (but did not charge any extra - good guys) due to several fubars on my part and theirs (original engine case could not be used, they sealed up the engine and realized the original cam and drive shaft could not be used with the 96mm pistons, they misaligned the drive shaft, therefore destroying the new bearings (I paid for the new, new bearings - they offered to pay), so a lot of extra work/time was put into the engine. As stated previously, I spent a lot of time developing a good relationship with these guys; they are meticulous and precise in their work. I feel fortunate. It could have ended up much differently. So, $1500 for labor.

The engine parts (the guts), jugs, pistons, lifters, connecting rods, drive shaft, cam shaft, bearings, gasket kit ran about $1300 all in, after rebate for the core charges. I re-used the valves, push rods, and heads (got lucky so far...). So, something under $3,000. I bought all the guts for the machine shop, so no mark-up on their end. If I had to buy new heads, then, except for the learning experience (which I value), the 10cent route would be about the same price. I feel that I did take a big risk doing it my way, however.

Would I rather have a 10cent engine? You bet (and his exhaust, too). Am I really satisfied with my decision? Yes, and I feel lucky. Did the stars align? Yea they did, thanks to Mike S and David Bjorkman for their good Karma.

Note that I spent additional money on new "ancillaries", which was in addition to the $3,000, and noted earlier in this thread.

Skip