Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:34:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Okanagan and Southern BC trip advice please.
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>

The areas I have enjoyed the most are .. Lilliotte, north of Whistler .....kinda wild country last time I was there. Lake Atlin on the far north end of BC - defenitely. Many hours drive there though. Quite remote and wild, about 12 yrs ago.

Bella Coola and Twedsemere Park. Been down to Bella Coola, havn't explored that part though. Pretty remote too. Stewart BC, the Salmon Glacier out of Hyder, AK. ( mostly melted by now I wouldn't be surprised. I first went there in about 88 ..huge glacier splitting in two, one branch is the Salmon glacier going toward Hyder, the other splitting off the other way. In 1998 the whole other side was gone, nothing but brown bare dirt remaining ).

North of Banff ...the Icefields Parkway. Defenitely want to see that. I havn't explored around Jasper much, but when I was there in the depths of of winter in the 90's ..there were glistening ice-draped peaks visible north of Jasper.

Liard Hot springs ...forget it that's in BC or not. On Al-can hwy. Great place.

It would take the rest of ones life to see all the really gorgeous places in BC. Tofino .....gotta go there. That coast of Vancouver Island is the only place in BC where one can drive to the open ocean.

Very magic place, BC. Scott www.turbovans.com

On 6/28/2012 10:20 AM, Poppie Jagersand wrote: > Hi All, > > Last year Wife kids and I went on a trip to desolation sound, as far one can drive along the coast north from Vancouver. Thanks to tips from list members and meeting Roger Whittaker in Powell river for some detailed local info the trip was a success. (See archives) > > This year we were thinking to do some parts of southern BC we haven't seen. We'll likely cross through Banff, but there not sure whether to go: > > 1. Rte 1 to 97 and though the Okanagan. (Well known but maybe crowded around Canada day) > > 2. or Rte 95 down the lakes around Invermere (likely quiter. What to see?) > > 3. or Rte 23 at Revelstoke down the lakes through Nakusp to Castlegar or Kaslo then Nelson. (I hadn't even known about these lakes and road until I looked on the map now. One can also cross to Vernon/Kewlowna on rte 6) > > Our plan is to start from Edmonton this weekend and be in Vancouver Jul 11 and 12. Tips for near/in Vancouver are also appreciated. Wife has a work confeence there, and I have 4mo and 3year old kids to entertain. Wife usually stays at conference hotel and I camp in the SFU parking lot... > > Have a kayak so prefer quiet lake or river camping with not too many high power motor boats. (The swells from the boats is often more of a problem turning us over than wind waves). Also like the more remote backcountry spots so we bought the detailed topo maps to be able to reach informal sites on public land. > > Thanks, > Martin (+ family and "Poppie" '82 Diesel Westy 1.9TD) >