Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:08:58 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Short shift for 5 speed
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

to go between 1st and reverse in your 5 speed.. no holding down the lever is needed since it's already in the 'push down a little to access' area in the shift box under the floor.

as well it should be ! Sure ....just foward pressure to go from 1st to 2nd works.. and it is still very natural. We've been pulling back for 2nd year for a long, long time in this car culture. Little Duce Coupe and all that. .....'I get pushed out of shape, and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears' or however the song goes.

I rode in a 68 Z-28 Camaro once...sitting in the back seat. The driver took that car to valve float at about 60 in 1st gear. Then he pulled so violently on the shift lever moving it into 2nd that I thought he'd rip the shift lever right out of the car. We 'exploded' into second. I swear we were going at least 90 in less than 2 more seconds.

Not going to do that in a 2WD 5 speed vanagon , that's for sure.

Scott

On 6/29/2012 2:43 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > > > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com <mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com>> wrote: > > > 'One of these days' - if I ever get to it. I have plan for a 4 > speed Porsche 'Sportmatic' trans . > it's a 4 speed manual trans, no clutch pedal ....instead a micro > switch ( VW Squareback has this too, but only in a 3 speed version > ) on the shifter disengages a conventional clutch using vacuum ( I > have the control valve and VW Bug vacuum large canister already ) .. > plus there is a small torque converter too .. > Works quite well, is still a manual trans, and no clutch pedal. > And VW and Porsche did that decades before the electronically > controlled semi-automatic trans, or automated manual of today's > crazy modern cars. > > Scott > turbovans > O > > > The 5sp in my van, the first to second shift IS, for all purposes, in > the same plane. If you shift by just pushing the lever forward, > without any grasp or guiding the lever over to the next "gate"....it > slips effortlessly into second without a noticeable 'jog' of the > shifter. When I first began drivng this I would consciously try to > 'follow the pattern' when shifting, but I discovered soon enough that > the tranny preferred not being 'guided' through the gears...at least > on the upshifts. I would have trouble going from first to second > until I learned to just push the lever ahead and let the springs guide > it into the next gear. > > You do have to ' reach ' for the gears1st/reverse, those both > require (or prefer) a slight depressing of the gear lever to get > 'over' to those two gears. Shifting between 1st and reverse....no > depressing the lever needed.....I think this is so that 'rocking the > van' to escape being stuck is possible. > > Way back in the day I had a couple of really old Chrysler company > cars that had 'semi-automatic stick shifts' You could stop at a > light without using the clutch and it would go throght the gears > unaided after the stop. Or you could use the clutch or just the > lever..."Fluid Drive" I think they called that....I think it was some > kind of centrifical clutch arrangement like the overdrive > transmissions in the 50s had.